Author Topic: Hack berry design question  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Joec123able

Hack berry design question
« on: April 12, 2013, 12:11:12 am »
My first time with hack berry just wanna know if hackberry can handle the design I want. It will be 68 inchs long pyramid design, 2 inchs wide down to about 3/8 inch tips with heavily reflexed tips maybe recurved. Does this sound doable without straining it under compression to much ?
I like osage

Offline Newindian

Re: Hack berry design question
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 01:25:21 am »
I like free stuff.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 01:36:33 am »
O don't think your even pushing it
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,37122.msg497029.html#msg497029

Wow yea I guess hackberry will hold up without a problem thanks for showing me that
I like osage

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 03:14:59 am »
I've done two hackberry recurves both were right around 60", if i remember right, and 2" wide. I think you could shorten that quite a bit. just remember to temper the belly that will help alot.  ;)

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,15031.0.html
SW Utah

Offline bubby

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 07:22:23 am »
Yep. :) Very doable. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 08:56:15 am »
I've made pyramids and bows with parallel sides with Hackberry.  My experience is the ones with parallel limbs have taken less set.  68 inches is longer than any I've done so that will help, but heavily reflexed tips will shorten it and add stress.  I'm an Osage guy, but made a half dozen Hacberry's over the last few years.  Very impressed with the wood.  I made a 62" quazi Meare Heath last summer.  47ish at 27 inches.  Light as a feather, fast, perfectly straight unbraced profile.  Just something to consider.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 08:59:52 am »
 Thanks Everyone I think I will consider shortening it now for sure
I like osage

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 09:16:47 am »
Stop tillering and Make sure you give it a deep dark temper when you start to notice it taking set where ever your at in your tillering process....and be gentle n easy with it..its not osage and you don't wanna rush with it and just start yanking it back like it was osage....I personally wouldn't shorten it...hackberry does better in the longer or wider designs IMHO...

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 01:09:51 pm »
Stop tillering and Make sure you give it a deep dark temper when you start to notice it taking set where ever your at in your tillering process....and be gentle n easy with it..its not osage and you don't wanna rush with it and just start yanking it back like it was osage....I personally wouldn't shorten it...hackberry does better in the longer or wider designs IMHO...

Ohh yea it's nothing like Osage it's alot softer for one. And yea I was figuring with hackberry I might get some set that's why I thought I might add heavy reflexes or maybe recurves to off set it ?
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 01:33:41 pm »
A flatbow style is a nice design for hackberry. Keep your 2" out to mid limb. Temper, temper, temper or you will have a soft, mushy bow with a bunch of set. Like Hawkey Poo says, coax it as you go. Its nice bow wood, but be nice to it until its fully tillered.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dave young

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 12:55:51 pm »
Could someone explain the temper part?

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 01:05:16 pm »
It's basically heating up the belly of the bow really hot till it starts to turn slight black and this hardens the fibers in the belly and helps strenthen them under compression
I like osage

Offline dave young

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 01:26:07 pm »
I assume you use a heat gun? Is this used on just certain woods?

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 01:40:45 pm »
You can use a heat gun I just use my stove because I don't have a heat gun. And you can use it on any wood but it's usually used on woods that are a little weak under compression such as hackberry
I like osage