Author Topic: Finally some bow wood available  (Read 7144 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Finally some bow wood available
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2013, 10:37:49 pm »
Your best bet is to get a state specific field guide for trees. In color and with pics of bark, twiglets, leaves and fruit. Mine was $12 and taught me all I wanted to know about my state tree's.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2013, 10:59:47 pm »

I am sorry, but I couldnt resist :)
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2013, 11:07:53 pm »
I for one am glad you didn't resist, sleek. 

Dude, if you don't cut that hackberry tree you are banned from this website for life!  I would give my eyeteeth for some of that hack!  It acts differently under a drawknife or spokeshave than osage or other first string bow woods, but the end product can be really amazing.  Hackberry is pretty hard wood for something so darned low in mass.  A good wide flatbow feels almost weightless compared to osage. 

Cut it, split it, de-bark and seal it.  Don't get yourself banned!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline paleryder

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2013, 11:24:31 pm »
Okay, okay...just don't slap me.  :laugh:

Offline paleryder

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2013, 11:26:02 pm »
Sleek, that is priceless.

Offline Marks

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2013, 05:04:57 pm »

I am sorry, but I couldnt resist :)

Nice. And yes, i was referring to silver maple. I grew up with silver's in my yard and have them at my new house too.

Offline paleryder

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2013, 04:40:49 pm »
Gents,

Well, I goofed. I didn't get out and get the tree for a number of reasons. Here we are end of August/early September and the tree is still growing. Is there any reason to wait or not wait to go harvest the tree? Should I let it finish it's late growth and take it just before it goes dormant or is that feeling driven by unjustified anxiety?  :) It's still available and I found someone interesting in making a bow w/me (trans: I have help splitting wood and debarking). Thanks.

Todd

Offline okie64

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2013, 07:43:36 pm »
The bark might still slip off depending on where you are located and how wet the summer has been in your area. Most of the time when Ive cut wood this late in the summer the bark is already glue down so I usually do my cutting early spring. We usually have pretty dry summers here in Oklahoma though.

Offline paleryder

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2013, 08:52:22 pm »
Summer here in Central Illinois has been dry. The property owner is putting the land up for sale. I figured I was too late for an easy bark removal. I didn't know if there was any drawback to harvesting before the end of the growing season.