Author Topic: poplar as bow wood  (Read 31512 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: poplar as bow wood
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2013, 04:14:10 pm »
Sometimes I believe we get a piece of wood bending and not breaking confused with a great shooting bow. I think there is a stark contrast between the two.
+1000
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline mikebarg

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2013, 04:17:02 pm »
I made a kids bow, 48" recurve from poplar. 1.5" wide at the handle. Only a 10# draw but has held up well.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2013, 04:38:46 pm »
Sometimes I believe we get a piece of wood bending and not breaking confused with a great shooting bow. I think there is a stark contrast between the two.
Sometimes I think we get a shootable bow confused with a masterpiece :P
I am certianly guilty of that.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline RyanY

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2013, 07:46:16 pm »
You would then have to explain why a poplar bow with low set, good tiller, and normal outer limb mass would not be a good shooter.  8) I'll build one one of these days and change minds.

Offline half eye

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2013, 09:25:56 pm »
Define "great shooting" bow......speed? / cast? / pencil thin tips? / Osage? / heat bent into a pretzel? / twisted? / knot holes? / snake skins? / sinew? / all of the above?    What differentiates a good bow from a fine bow from a great bow?

Don't believe everybody's got to make the same kinds of bows, dont believe they all got to be skin/sinew backed character bows or take a couple months to make to be "great shooting". Maybe ya ought to just build yer bow and see how it turns out compared to your personal expectations and decide for your self if it suits your purpose? If it turns out to be a dog you will know, if it meets expectations then it's all good. Only you know what you want it to do.
rich