Author Topic: what glue to use?  (Read 3623 times)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: what glue to use?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 09:13:59 am »
Emphasis is on LIGHT syrup. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 09:26:05 am »
The temp should be around 120 - 130 degrees? I am thinking that Knox can be used on all glue joints such as overlays and such?
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 10:14:54 pm »
Hide glue is great stuff, but not water proof.  I don't use hide glue for tip overlays because I figure it's just too hard to keep water away from the glue line.  I have purchased some garage sale bows where the splices and handle lams were done with hide glue.  The glue failed after only ~ 50 years of sitting around.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 11:12:18 pm »
If you are in the lower 48 or in an area that has normal humidity levels hide glue works great.  If while sinewing bows you have problems with excessive cracking or bows pulling themselves apart or unusual drying problems tb3 could be your solution!  I had all kinds of problems when I moved to Ak when sinewing bows tb3 proved very reliable.  I have used both and I vary application technique and glue to match what I want to accomplish with each stave.  I would use both then learn which works best for a given stave.  Experience will provide you with answers in time.  There is not one answer.
G'day
Chris