Author Topic: Inner tubes  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Stefan

Inner tubes
« on: April 10, 2013, 11:20:20 am »
Hi All,

I have a bow lying around to be repaired. I can't use clamps because the will damage the belly of the bow so I want to use bicycle inner tubes.

Do you guys cut the inner tubes in half (lengtwise) so they will stretch more or do you just cut off the air valve and tie them together?

Stefan

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:27:57 pm by Stefan »
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Inner tubes
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 11:23:27 am »
the last one i saw had the valve in tact, it doesn't hurt anything so long as its facing out.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 12:44:22 pm »
I do cut them in half lengthwise, but I'm sure it's not completely necessary. I've tried both, and I feel like I can control the pressure I'm getting more with the strips cut lengthwise. It's easier to stretch, so also easier to wrap. Wrapping a whole bow is very tiresome on the arms! One inner tube, cut into two strips, is almost enough to do a whole bow. I wrap the bow blank twice, after tying three parts (1½ tube) together. I go from tip to tip, and then back again. Keep the end in place by tying two half hitches.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 01:38:16 pm »
I cut the valve out and use the tube whole...I use the split ones for minor clamping of say...riser blocks or extra clamp around the fades.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 02:04:34 pm »
I dont split them.    Just cut the tube off.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 02:46:36 pm »
I remove the valve and split them in half.  I also use multiple small pieces if no larger one are around.  Tuck the ends under. 

Russ

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 03:36:31 pm »
I've done both, only things different are it is easyer to wrap with the split tubes, although not much, and the split ones don't last as long, but heck they give you the old tubes at the bike shop if ya ask nice
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹