Author Topic: guns vs bows  (Read 9508 times)

Offline Squirrelslayer

guns vs bows
« on: April 08, 2013, 07:15:26 pm »
Ok me and my freind always end up having the same argument.  He loves guns and I love bows. He says guns are better and you don't see the army or SWAT teams using bows. Here's my argument.  Bows are quiter Bows have wooden arrows so will kill vampires.You can reuse arrows.Bows have sexy curves please help me argue our love for archery and convince my freind bows are better than guns. Thanks.  SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline Onebowonder

Re: guns vs bows
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 07:21:47 pm »
Both guns and bows are only tools.  How, when, and under what conditions each is used is what determines which is 'better'.

OneBow

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 07:55:55 pm »
Go out with your friend do a 15step duel and see who wins. Thats why you dont see bows used in law enforcement and military. By the time you release an arrow you wouldve been shot atlease three times.

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 07:58:02 pm »
Saying bows are better than guns (and vice versa) is like saying jackhammers are better than scalpels. Onebowonder is absolutely right in saying that they are just tools, each used to accomplish different tasks. Would I want my eye surgeon using a jackhammer to fix my cataract? Hellz no. And would it make much sense for a construction crew to try and break up the crappy sidewalk outside my house with a bunch of tiny knives? Take a guess.

I'll put it this way: I don't hunt as much as I would like to, and I've only been doing it for about three years. Hunting with primitive/traditional equipment is unlike anything else in the world, and I love it dearly. But let's say, for the sake of argument, that my family's survival suddenly rested on my ability to bring home dinner for the next month. Based on my skills (or lack thereof) with a bow in a hunting situation, I'll take a rifle any day. On the flip side of that coin: If I was in a scenario where ammunition, or God forbid weapons themselves, were impossible to find, I'd probably be spending a heck of a lot more time learning to shoot well with a bow.

I personally feel that I can make decent arguments for both sides here, not that it's really an argument per say, as I'm pretty well involved in both 1) traditional archery and 2) Tactical/defensive shooting. I'm learning how to make ELB's, as well as learning how to shoot from various points of cover or concealment. I finally learned how to make an flemish twist string, and also figured out how to clear a double-feed on an AR. (which, by the way, can be a real pain if you don't do it right  :o ) In my opinion, they're almost completely opposite worlds. To me, archery is about the primitive senses, of getting away from unnecessary technology and getting back to your roots. Compare that to the style of shooting I'm into, where a piece of gear can literally be the difference between life and death.

TL;DR: Different tools, different jobs. One isn't better than the other.

Warning: I am one of the men the Pharisees warned you about.

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 08:02:20 pm »
Go out with your friend do a 15step duel and see who wins. Thats why you dont see bows used in law enforcement and military. By the time you release an arrow you wouldve been shot atlease three times.

I would quite happily do that and be the one using the bow because all he has is BB guns.  And even if it were a real gun I would die doing something I loved.  ;D SS

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 08:33:35 pm »
i think that the key here, is that there is more enjoyment out of hunting with a bow, than with a gun. Guns were made to kill people, and to efficiently kill animals with little effort involved. The reason bows usually trump guns when it comes to hunting is that, when you've killed a deer, especially with a bow made by you or someone that worked hard to make it for you, you find that there is a huge sense of accomplishment, much more over that of a gun. sure you will be proud if you kill a deer with a gun, but if you get one with a bow it is a rarity(relative to gun hunting.)
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 08:45:01 pm »
From a weaponry point of view, modern firearms are superior in almost every way. There is a reason you don't see any of the worlds major military forces still using bows. They just cant compete with firearms on any level. For every task that a bow can do, there is a firearm that can do it better.

But that is one of the reasons I like to use bows in the first place. Its a challenge to use. Its an achievement just to be able to shoot one accurately, and to take big game with a traditional or primitive bow is one of my biggest aspirations. I don't shoot bows because they are better, I shoot them because they aren't.

That being said, if I had to choose between a traditional muzzle-loading flintlock and an English longbow in a fight, I'd take the bow every time. I wouldn't like taking a knee to reload for thirty seconds between shots.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 08:50:51 pm »
Squirrely
Maybe you could make a time machine and go back thru history to record how many have been killed with bows vs guns , the bow may still be ahead  !
When you get done dreaming start another bow !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline VicNova

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 09:41:53 pm »
Ha Ha yeah if I had to bring either a bow or a gun into the Jungle, I would bring a gun. But for hunting enjoyment you can't beat a bow. I bet Rambo would choose the bow over the gun though.  :laugh:
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline Gordon

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 09:45:11 pm »
It's not even close. Firearms are far superior to bows as weapons - especially modern firearms. That's why just about every society that was exposed to firearms eventually ditched their spears, swords and bows for guns.
Gordon

Offline Frawg

• Mayan Apocalypse Survivor
    • N/A
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 09:50:17 pm »
Once Vampires came in the debate all credability was lost. I think both tools have there place. I usually take a gun and a bow when I ride my Unicorn into battle.
Matt
Matt Bradley

Glade Valley, NC

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 10:08:37 pm »
Once Vampires came in the debate all credability was lost. I think both tools have there place. I usually take a gun and a bow when I ride my Unicorn into battle.
Matt

Blue= sarcasm, by the by.

Psssh, everyone knows that REAL operators mount MK.19's on their unicorns, usually in conjunction with ICBM-carrying humpback whales. Jeez, get a clue.

:laugh:
Warning: I am one of the men the Pharisees warned you about.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 12:06:09 am »
There's no sence in arguing over gun vs bow. Bows are an elegant beautiful weapon that forces you to challenge your self. Guns in reality are a much more efficient way to kill an animal or a person you could be 300 yards away and still take down your target whereas a bow most people won't shoot over 25 yards at an animal not that the bow isn't capable of killing an animal from further away it's just not very accurate at further distances. Overall guns are just killing machines lol and bows are just beautiful weapons that people use for a challenge and to experience what our ancestors did 1000s of years ago
I like osage

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 04:47:50 am »
NO VAMPIRES.  so your telling me youve never been hunting in trasilvania? Anyone?  SS

also on YouTube

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 06:10:22 am »
There are a few real world advantages to the bow that the gun can NEVER touch. Silence being first in my mind. You can miss ( or hit ) and not vacate the area of all prey from the sound of the shot. A bow is very stealthy. Next being ammo. If i shoot a zombie in the head, I can go get my arrow and reload. I dont have to find the right caliber, buy in bulk and carry around a bunch of heavy lead. If the arrow breaks, they are not hard to make, especially in today's modern world. The other being durability in extreme environments. Wood bows dont rust. They also dont need cleaning or oiling. They wont foul up. In a long term survival situation, ( think, The Alaska Experiment ) I would LIKE a gun, but would NEED a bow.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others