Author Topic: Short Hackbow  (Read 2130 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Short Hackbow
« on: April 02, 2013, 08:01:56 pm »
After I heard the roar of a chainsaw at my neighbor's house I ran over there and asked him to cut me two logs off of the trunk.  He was happy for me to take some wood off his hands.  One of the logs was a bit short so half the bows I get from that stave will be the same length as this one.  The rest will be a tad bit longer I guess. 

Anyway, this is the first bow I made from that haul.  I've been playing with it so much that I haven't gotten around to messing with the other staves.  The bark came right off and this stuff splits like a breeze.  I'm really impressed with hackberry.

I did rush the bow a little bit so I just kind of eye balled everything and went with "instinct" and it shows in the placement of the handle.  The bottom limb is a bit longer than the top limb.  Someone on here mentioned tillering just based on feel so I gave it a try and I really like it.  I don't think I'll ever take another picture of the draw and tiller based on that or a tillering tree.  However I will mark a nocking point on the string because it's important where I knock and where I grab the handle if you're going to tiller like this.  I'd be interested on more input on the subject.

What matters is this bow shoots much faster than my last and is way lighter. 

As is my custom, I went all primitive on this one.  Made my own stain, which I am very pleased with, greased it with pig lard, and made my string from agave fibers that I harvested and processed.  One of these days I'll keep everything Florida native.

I realize that there are a few things I could have done that may have enhanced the performance a little but I'm interested to hear what y'all have to say.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 01:51:06 am by PrimitiveTim »
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline bow101

Re: Short Hackbow
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 08:28:20 pm »
By looking at the draw pic.  It Looks like its bending more in the mid limb area, and it may stack at full draw. How much are you pulling in the pic.? looks like about 25"........?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 08:41:28 pm »
I think for a short bow with a stiff handle your getting a lot of draw on it, I like your approach on this build, I do think you should go with a bendy handle bow with the rest of these short staves, you will end up with a longer life to the bow and get more draw length, but that's just me, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 10:04:20 pm »
  love me some short bows, do some more  :D good job

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 10:11:56 pm »
Looks good from where I'm at! Yeah, there are some little things but if it shoots and you enjoy it then mission accomplished!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Frawg

• Mayan Apocalypse Survivor
    • N/A
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 02:11:53 am »
I think we should trade!!!! You send me that bow and I will send you a shirt ;D... Just poking atcha seriously Nice bow Tim.
Matt
Matt Bradley

Glade Valley, NC

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 02:34:05 am »
Nice bow bro! I think it is very cool and different that you have the bow off centered. I seen your other posts of bow on here and that string really amazes me you gotta tell me how to make that or send me a bow string  >:D haha
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 09:12:23 am »
Thanks for the good advice and the complements.  I will use the advice on my next bows and the complements to help me get started on them.

Matt, Shirts are things I wear to school and sometimes work.  I had just been out in the yard scaring some squirrels and I asked my brother get a shot of the draw.  If I were to consider a trade that shirt would have to be hand made from natural materials.  I'm looking into something called tapa that comes from the paper mulberry.  Really cool stuff.

Jake, I have a video on how to make cordage.  This weekend we're making a video on how to find fibers and process them and what kind of things you might used them for.  Cordage is easy after a little practice so If I was you I'd get at it.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 10:40:43 am »
My thoughts concur with bubbys....but I really like your enthusiastic primitive approach,and with some more practice you will be making some really fine "primitive" sticks ;)

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 05:18:16 pm »
By looking at the draw pic.  It Looks like its bending more in the mid limb area, and it may stack at full draw. How much are you pulling in the pic.? looks like about 25"........?

I'm not sure about in the picture but I'm now pulling it to about 23".  I like that draw length and I think I'm going to stick with it cause it's where the last knuckle in my thumb hits the base of my jawbone.  It's a comfortable place for me.

I've been having a problem with placing the bend mostly in the middle of the limb with other bows as well.  I think there's some kind of mental issue that I don't want it bending too much near the handle or something.  Oh well, Maybe I'll listen to you guys and make the handle bend as well.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 05:43:53 pm »
Nice tiller on a short bow...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.