Author Topic: The Most Beautiful Kindling I've Ever Made  (Read 3745 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: The Most Beautiful Kindling I've Ever Made
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 07:13:07 pm »
Christian Soldier, I am so sorry that you spent so long on the stave and it broke on you. I l know what that feels like to me.  You are right it does look well shaped. Let me ask you what you think you could have done differently? The stave is heavily crowned, it looks short, it is really knotted and I couldn't tell you if you heated in some reflex. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 10:39:32 am »
Christian Soldier, I am so sorry that you spent so long on the stave and it broke on you. I l know what that feels like to me.  You are right it does look well shaped. Let me ask you what you think you could have done differently? The stave is heavily crowned, it looks short, it is really knotted and I couldn't tell you if you heated in some reflex. Jawge

The crown isn't too bad. It came from a tree about 7" across so its a little higher than I'd prefer, but nothing debilitating. It is short, not much over 5ft. I screwed up the ring chasing really bad on the lower limb (I thought I was one ring high but I was actually one ring low) so I had to pike that one side (I hadn't cut in the handle so it was okay) by about 4". No reflex in this one, I was nervous as it was and I didn't want to put any extra stress on the stave.

I think on my next one, I'll work the rings more carefully and back it with rawhide, I'll also keep it full length probably a similar design, and then I think it'll be quite a looker and a shooter.  :)
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline bhenders

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 04:07:14 pm »
Beautiful wood.  Make an Atlatl from the pieces or a scrapper or something.