Author Topic: Hatchet advice  (Read 12154 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: Hatchet advice
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 04:09:37 pm »
Good Looking Tools there Nathan.

Number 3 and 4 from the left, are these True Temper heads?
And are they single bevel?

Thank You.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline CaptainBeaky

• Maker of stuff
    • Westmead Artificing
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 04:33:53 pm »
+1 on refurbishing an old one - you could actually put a single side bevel on if you're regrinding to any great extent.

Here's one I did earlier - (the Brades Criterion)

Reground mainly to remove damaged bits, and to put a finer edge on. Great for splitting small stuff (which was what I intended it for). GB Wildlife Hatchet for scale.

The law hangs the man and flogs the woman
That steals the goose from off the common
But lets the greater villain loose
That steals the common from under the goose.

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 08:25:53 pm »
Good Looking Tools there Nathan.

Number 3 and 4 from the left, are these True Temper heads?
And are they single bevel?

Thank You.

-gus

Both old chipchop heads with double bevel.

Offline Caveman_Sam

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 05:29:59 pm »
Cracking replies n great to see beloved axe collections and old things that have been salvaged into things of beauty and pride once again!

I ummed and arred about what I was going to choose for a good while.  The Gransfors look lush and I do one day hope to own one.  The sweedish carving hatchet had me very tempted but in the end I coudn't justify forking out for it at the moment.  (cos as im sura you're all well aware, its a good chunk more than even the usual bunch of the Gransfors line.)

I did loads of research and this thread helped immensely, so thanks for that!  Im also pretty chuffed that a noob like me wasnt just annoying and kicked off a topic that ur all passionate about. 

I was interested in the Husqvarna range of axes due to the reputed quality and more affordable price.  Some research revealed that Husqvarna were made by Hultafors.  Of which there were builders websites offering great deals. Again I ummed and arred about sizes.

In the end the decision was made for me because on amazon I found a Hultafors trekking axe (800g  17.5" handle) for £5.45  and a Hultafors Chopping axe (1750g 32") for £5.95  bargain!  ;D  Supplier was reputably rated and it said it was new..  (cant quite believe it until I see it)  They say if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.. but I guess if that is the case then ill be asking for restoration advise soon! :P  I got the last trekker but There were 2 big cheep choppers left after me on amazon.co.uk if ne one is interested.

Just gotta split that log now! Ill keep you all posted!

p.s Did any one spot the Gransfors in the history channels new program Vikings? lol