Author Topic: unbacked erc character bow w/ whitetail horn nocks "Gerty"  (Read 20502 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: character erc tiller check
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 01:43:43 am »
Thanks fellas!  This one had me a bit nervous.  I don't think there's much room for error with this stave so I was definitely needing some other tiller eyes to help me along. I appreciate it.  I guess the horn nocks are somewhat acceptable since nobody said hey dummy you screwed them up?  If no one pipes up by tomorrow night, I guess I will go ahead and finish em out like I know what I'm doing. 
Good eye Clint!  I almost ran her dry before I noticed the fuel gauge was bottomed out! :o :-[  it wouldn't be the first time I did it either.  Thanks again fellas!  Josh

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 07:30:16 am »
That tiller looks good to me, you pulled it off nicely,and the horn nocks look very nice also, See nothing wrong with them at all, but have to say I also have very little experence with them. :) I will say they turned out way better than my first. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 09:39:04 am »
I think those white horn nocks look cool, Doc. You seldom see them that color. Never done em myself, but they look good to me!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Josh B

Re: character erc w/ whitetail horn nocks (in progress)
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 12:58:22 am »
Thanks Pappy!  Thanks Kenny!  I went ahead and filed in the string grooves.  They didn't quite turn out like I thought they would.  The bottom nock ended up showing a stripe of pith in the center so I saturated it with superglue.  It seems to have hardened it up nicely.  I guess thats why you don't see many whitetail horn nocks.  Hopefully they'll hold up.  A little polishing and sanding, this one shoot be ready to finish by this weekend.  Here's the nocks with the grooves filed in.  Josh

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: character erc w/ whitetail horn nocks ( still in progress )
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 06:33:39 am »
Looks great,ya some white tail antler get that way in the center, some seem to be worse than others from what I see. Fresh and the outer tine tip seem to be more solid,I see nothing wrong with them.Very nice. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 03:02:23 pm »
Nice work man that looks like one that'll make your eyes hurt.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 12:15:59 am »
Thanks Pappy!  Thanks peacebow!  I gained on it some this weekend while sitting at Memphis.  I had to really restrain myself from renting a car and heading to twinoaks for the weekend.  Anyway, its not done yet but it's as good as it'll get until I can get home and finish it properly.  69" ntn. 43#@28".  Like I said, its not finished, but it is shootable.  Josh

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 12:25:44 am »
That looks great Josh you got it bending perfect. I want to see that one, I'm planning on looking you up this weekend at the Classic.
Look forward to meeting you and seeing that bow.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 12:58:00 am »
Wow! :o That's really amazing, Josh. I don't think I would have seen a bow in that piece of wood. Nice work all around, can't wait to see it with lipstick.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 09:11:59 am »
Lookin really good, Josh. Hope to see it this weekend in person. ;)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline half eye

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 09:18:44 am »
That full draw is really fine right there, looks perfect like your other bows. ya'd never guess the character from the side full draw shot. (told ya so >:D)
rich

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 09:51:39 am »
Been following this post waiting to see the FD.  Very nice Sir!  Looks to have been quite tricky getting that dude done.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 11:06:52 am »
Thanks fellas!  The upper limb does have one stiff spot right where the limb crosses the corner of the window in the pic.  If it were bending properly, it would look like a horrible hinge right there.  Otherwise I'm pretty happy with how it came out.  Thanks again, Josh

Offline autologus

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 11:54:09 am »
That is a fine looking bow, I can't wait till my ERC has cured enough.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 09:59:54 pm »
Thanks Grady!  It seems to dry pretty quick compared to hardwoods.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you make of it. Josh