Author Topic: Dry wood  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Joec123able

Dry wood
« on: April 07, 2013, 10:51:31 pm »
Quick question-    I just wanna know can you quick dry bow wood over a fire ???? If not is there any way to speed up the drying process?
I like osage

Offline Jmilbrandt

Re: Dry wood
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 11:07:05 pm »
Hot box with a fan is the best way to go. Or put it in your car in the summer.
SW Utah

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 11:35:14 pm »
If you've got a fireplace, you could store it near the fireplace too. I have a hotbox and it works very well.

But beware, there is no free lunch in this business. The faster you dry a piece of wood, the more likely you are to cause checking, cracking, and warping all of which can render a piece of wood useless or at least cause you a lot of work down the road.

You can speed the drying process, but its always a risk-reward kind of situation.

In my experience, if the wood is really green, and you put it in a hotbox, it will crack badly. But if you wait a bit, and let the wood lose that first bunch of moisture naturally, and then knock the last 10-15% out in the hotbox, you will get better results.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 12:04:30 am »
Ok well I will try the car thing when we get a hot day I don't wanna have to build a hot box.
I like osage

Offline ScottN

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 12:38:18 am »
Boiler room is a good place to keep it if you want to get it to dry a little bit faster than normal but dont want to use a hotbox. Also, make sure the end's or sealed good to minimize the amount of any cracking.
...take me away...from the place I've been...          ...to another life...in another world...

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 12:48:17 am »
Yea the ends are sealed the back is sealed because I already took it down to one ring and the belly is sealed to because it started checking on me to and the piece of wood I have doesn't have much room to play around with so the sides of the piece are the only part that isn't sealed
I like osage