Author Topic: bamboo backed osage bendy handle  (Read 4688 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
bamboo backed osage bendy handle
« on: April 07, 2013, 09:02:17 pm »
I finally finished this one up and learned alot. It is my 1st successful bamboo backed bow. I had a failure with osage and one with ipe due to starved glue areas while trying to induce reflex. This one was glued up with about 3 inches of reflex and holds about 2 inches after resting. It is 60 inches tip to tip with coco bola tip overlays and is 42# @28 inches. I left the bamboo a little thick so the osage is pretty thin but she has held up over several hundred shots. I took this bow to Tannehill and let Eric Krewson look at it where he pointed out that I had violated the power fibers between the last node and the tip, so I wrapped the tips from the last node to the tip overlays with black artificial sinew for added protection. The handle gave me fits on this one due to the shape, so I tried a wrapped handle and like the way it turned out. The shelf is on the wrong side for me, but I made it for my son to shoot till his other one is ready. He is not crazy about bendy handle bows. Sorry that the pics aren't that great, but here are some.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 09:55:52 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
Re: bamboo backed osage bendy handle
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:35:25 pm »
Sweet bow! I love the bendy handles! Great job on this one :)
>>>---------->

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 10:14:13 pm »
Thanks, Duck. I made my first bendy by accident (the handle popped off) and really like them now. I thought a few times this one wouldn't pan out.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 10:23:40 pm »
Wow just beautiful I'm in love with these bend in the handle bows
I like osage

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 10:36:05 pm »
Wow, nice looking bends on that baby!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 10:40:19 pm »
Thanks, Joe & Cody. After receiving one of Half Eye's bendies, I realized how sweet they can be when done by an expert. I have a ways to go, but am enjoying the ride!

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 10:56:14 pm »
That's the way ya make 'em bend bud!!!!! really nicely done, bet it gets yer arras downrange in a big hurry. even if ya did use osage ;)
rich

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 11:05:02 pm »
Sweet little bow, the grip looks really comfortable, especially for a bend in the handle bow.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 11:08:59 pm »
Yes what do you use for the grip ?? I love how it looks like a stiff handle. I'm working on a bendy handle bow and I'd love to do the grip like that if you don't mind telling me
I like osage

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 11:41:31 pm »
I went to the craft store and bought some sheets of 1/4 inch cork. I used some Loctite G02 glue to glue the sheets together. Then just treated them like wood and shaped them on my belt sander with a little final touch ups done by hand with a rasp. The problem I ran into with an almost flat bow and no riser was after rounding out the handle and not really having any fades, I just could not get a laced leather handle to fit right. I took a big piece of leather and cut some long strips and wrapped it around the handle using the first wrap as a strike plate. It worked like a charm and is very comfy.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 08:02:11 am »
Looks great,should be a shooter. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JonW

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 08:35:45 am »
That is the way I like to see them bend. Good job!

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 09:27:58 am »
Looks very good! The black wrappings makes the opptical illusion the shorter than it is (fd pic).
Would like to see the unbraced profile.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 09:37:04 am »
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Yeah, I took the pics as the sun was setting and realized too late that I didn't take one unstrung. I will post one today.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 09:40:05 am »
Awesome bend in that one Kenny.  I have yet to try a bamboo backed bow.  That one looks like a shooter to me. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi