Author Topic: From busted to bounty  (Read 3632 times)

Offline Badly Bent

From busted to bounty
« on: April 07, 2013, 11:18:28 am »
Two weeks ago my stave stash was down to nothing but questionable bow wood at best and very little of it. On a saturday a friend
called and said he was cutting a few trees behind the horse barn and that I should get over there for some potential bow wood. :D
On the way I drove by the property in the following photos and hit the jackpot. This property was being cleared, 13 acres, for future
development. I stopped and got permission to take all I wanted from the man clearing the site. I grabbed some buckthorn that was
cut and piled then went on to my friends and got some more buckthorn and some walnut. Then, before I headed home I got a call
from Paul Semp to come by his house and he generously gave me staves of osage, mulberry and hackberry. ;D
So since that day two weeks ago I've been back to the 13 acre site to collect more buckthorn as well as black locust which should
keep myself, Paul and some others that I've promised staves to busy for awhile.
Also in the photos is a pic of 15 yr. old Josh, son of the gentleman clearing the 13 acre site, shooting a hickory Lenape inspired bow
I took along to give to him in appreciation of the bounty of bow wood his father allowed me to have. Josh was thrilled to have the
bow and is hooked on archery now I believe. Anyway heres some pics.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: From busted to bounty
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 11:39:51 am »
Very sweet.  I was in the same shape by last fall.  Made 8 or 9 bows last year which is a bunch for me, and found myself out of decent wood for the first time in a long time.  Worked a few trades, cut some here and there and now I'm a little better off.  Not as well off as you apparently!  Nice score.  Gotta get my hands on some Locust.  A buddy in Kansas was gonna cut me some, but brought me some maple staves instead.  Happy with them for sure.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 11:42:20 am »
Jackpot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got to try a piece of Buckthorn some day :)

You're gonna be busy for a while :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 11:52:03 am »
Sweet, thanks for the buckthorn you already dropped of. That locust is looking reel nice!

Offline osagejack

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 12:19:35 pm »
that is a nice haul  ,,what type tree is buckthorn,,don't think we have it here in tn

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 01:06:36 pm »
Lucky dog! I made one buckthorn bow and cant wait to get my hands on more. I fell right in love with it. I need to look for some. My tree book say we have plenty up here, just gotta find it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 01:36:34 pm »
When it rains, it pours!  8) Nice haul and nice gesture but you should be ashamed getting the poor kid hooked on something he will have the rest of his life to enjoy!  8)
  The little plant to the right of the arrow in the pic looks like sourwood, at least the way the shoot comes off the plant. Sourwood makes excellent arrows if that is infact sourwood. Where do you live?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 03:16:09 pm »
osage Jack, latin name for it is Rhamnus cathartica I believe or European buckthorn.
Pat, I'm not familar with sourwood and I don't believe we have it up here. I'm in N. Illinois about 45 miles west of Chicago. We do
have alot of arrowwood viburnum, bush honeysuckle and dogwood for shoot shafts though.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 04:18:02 pm »
What a score!!!!! Wow that'll keep ya busy for at least a week.  ::)
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 06:11:43 pm »
Nice to see you have lots of wood. That is a beauty of a bow you made too. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 06:16:10 pm »
That is the way to reload!! Nice work Greg!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 06:17:19 pm »
OK, I'm drooling!!! :)
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 07:32:53 pm »
Wow good find! SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline chamookman

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 08:10:13 pm »
Cha - Ching ! Great find, there's gonna be some dust flin' in the future. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 08:13:35 pm »
Filling up the wood bank!  Nice haul.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch