Author Topic: How would you treat this?  (Read 2366 times)

Offline DuBois

How would you treat this?
« on: June 13, 2013, 02:18:16 pm »
Cut about 3 weeks ago and spit last week. Osage log about 8-10" around. Huge rings and neat curves. I just don't want to screw it up. Got several other fresh and older logs that are smaller. Got one real nice old post from what used to be a cattle farm and now is soon to be a development behind a new wal mart and split it into 4 curvy staves  >:D >:D

Thanks folks, Marco

Offline Joec123able

Re: How would you treat this?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 02:29:07 pm »
Wow that is some gigantic rings for Osage
I like osage

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 02:32:20 pm »
That ain't osage...its mulberry

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 02:36:13 pm »
That ain't osage...its mulberry

Ahh yep I knew somethin looked weird about it
I like osage

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 02:46:03 pm »
I'd cut em in half and save the reflexed end pieces for billets...that's too much of a messed up side profile to try and make one piece bows with...you can,but it will be a headache wrestling match to correct...

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 02:55:48 pm »
OK..that was pretty vague....on the one at the bottom of your pic id cut it in half,and then each half will yield sister billets you can splice together and have a semi decent workable profile...the billets that will be highly reflexed can be spliced and glued in some deflex for a very nice workable profile....and with the log on top I'd cut it at the sharp kink 12" or so from the ground and at about 8" past where the stave turns back into deflex and splice the  billets from those sister billets at both of that deflexed spot for another very workable profile...got it?

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 03:56:30 pm »
Ok here is what I think.  The one on the bottom of the picture would make an awesome sinew backed R/D bow and the other would make a bow with some heat correcting.  Good luck with them
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline DuBois

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 05:46:13 pm »
Wow, that's cool. I was wanting some mulberry anyways. I had called a guy from craigslist who was selling hedge posts in my home town and requested he cut some fresh for me and seal the ends and he tried to get me what I described and did pretty good overall.

OK..that was pretty vague....on the one at the bottom of your pic id cut it in half,and then each half will yield sister billets you can splice together and have a semi decent workable profile...the billets that will be highly reflexed can be spliced and glued in some deflex for a very nice workable profile....and with the log on top I'd cut it at the sharp kink 12" or so from the ground and at about 8" past where the stave turns back into deflex and splice the  billets from those sister billets at both of that deflexed spot for another very workable profile...got it?
Thanks BH, I think I get what your saying. I guess I could mix and match with the pieces from the sides to get the best profile and least twist.
Does mulberry heat and bend about like osage? Should I bebark down to heartwood and seal?

Ok here is what I think.  The one on the bottom of the picture would make an awesome sinew backed R/D bow and the other would make a bow with some heat correcting.  Good luck with them
I was thinkin maybe I could get one straight stave from right down the middle of each but that would leave the rest kinda funky lookin so I think I'll just go for the billet option. Does have some potential for what you say for sure though. Thanks man.

Offline Raptard

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 07:07:50 pm »
I am currently working on my first bow, and it happens to be mullberry, what i have found is that it steam bends VERY nicely, haven't tried  heat bending though. i'm pretty sure you just want to treat it like osage just 20% wider.
Don't Panic

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 09:19:53 pm »
I am currently working on my first bow, and it happens to be mullberry, what i have found is that it steam bends VERY nicely, haven't tried  heat bending though. i'm pretty sure you just want to treat it like osage just 20% wider.
Your steam bending your first bow? I can't wait to see your 2nd!
;)
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"