Main Discussion Area > HowTo's and Build-a-longs

Sinew

(1/5) > >>

c persons:
Hey first i have to say WOW this new server is really different. OK anyway i bought some deer sinew and was wondering how to use it

if anyone has anything to answer thanks ;D

Pappy:
I just finished a sinew back Osage yesterday.I save all my back strap sinew and use it for tying on feathers and raps on bows where I have a problem.I clean it and pound it lightly and it worked great on the back of my bow.It went on nice and smooth and the length is nice to work with.
    Pappy

c persons:
what is backstrap sinew? and i'm buying this sinew in a store its deer sinew (i've heard its not the best but all i can get my hands on).
any other tips and hints are much appreciated.

Pat B:
Back strap sinew(silver skin) runs along either side of the backbone on a deer(and all animals). You probably bought leg sinews. Both work but being longer, the backstrap sinew is prefered for hafting points and tying down feathers.
   You will need to remove the casing from around the sinew, place it on a hard surface and pound it with a hammer until the fibers seperate. These fibers is what you'll want to glue down to the back of your bow. Hide glue, Knox gellatin or Tite-Bond glues will work for the glue.
   Maybe someone with more experience will chine in with more info for you.     Pat

Pappy:
The good thing about the back strap is it dosn't require much pounding it's not incased like leg sinew.I don't know if it is quite as the leg but it seems to woke fine and a lot less work.
   Pappy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version