Author Topic: cedar board bow  (Read 10532 times)

Offline kid bow

cedar board bow
« on: April 06, 2013, 01:31:47 pm »
Well I went to home depot and was looking at cedar boards. They are only $3.34 and they are about an in and a half to two inches in width and about an inch thick. Anyway I was searching and found the perfect board. It is about 3/4 heartwood and 1/4 sapwood. I'll post pictures soon.
I hope you all are having a good day today
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Jmilbrandt

Re: cedar board bow
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 01:36:37 pm »
Are the boards you're talking about western red cedar? If they are I doubt you will be able to get a nice bow from them. Try looking at the red oak instead.
SW Utah

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 01:42:19 pm »
Well I went to home depot and was looking at cedar boards. They are only $3.34 and they are about an in and a half to two inches in width and about an inch thick. Anyway I was searching and found the perfect board. It is about 3/4 heartwood and 1/4 sapwood. I'll post pictures soon.
I hope you all are having a good day today
Last time I checked, ceder is not a great self-bow wood. Juniper, on the other hand is.
Perhaps you are confusing Eastern Red Ceder, which is actually a species of Juniper.
Go for red oak, its cheaper, and shoots better.
Its also more forgiving, although it is harder to work.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline osagejack

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 01:48:30 pm »
for sure b careful cedar is very brittle,,and the wood at lowes has been dry kilned  which makes its even worse,,

Offline kid bow

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 02:42:31 pm »
I say cedar because that's what the tag says it is eastern red cedar.   

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 02:44:43 pm »
Home Depot does not sell ERC.

It is a much less bow worthy cedar.

Be careful when it eventually blows.

Jon

Offline DavidV

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 03:00:28 pm »
It's not ERC, but might make some arrows if the grain is good.
Springfield, MO

Offline kid bow

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 10:28:10 pm »
You guys realize that I have bows made of cedar that I've had since I was like 3 right. I'm 16 now and they still shoot great. Anyway this just makes me wanna prove you all wrong

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 10:43:06 pm »
Eastern Red Cedar is a great bow wood with the right design. I have a few hickory backed ERC's and started two more today. I think everyone is just saying that what you found is possibly not ERC. The big box stores have been known to mislabel the cedars. If it is ERC go for it :) just back it with something like rawhide, maple, hickory, even bamboo works.
>>>---------->

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 10:49:17 pm »
You guys realize that I have bows made of cedar that I've had since I was like 3 right. I'm 16 now and they still shoot great. Anyway this just makes me wanna prove you all wrong

Post some pics or it never happened.

Good luck..  >:D >:D

Jon

Offline kid bow

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 02:38:57 am »
Had Jon had they eventually dried out and cracked, had bug damage or broke outright. Trust me though they last really long if made correctly. It's a tough wood that can take a beating I have one problem though. For rawhide my dog has those rawhide roles could I just use those for rawhide

Offline okie64

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 09:17:31 am »
Erc is beautiful wood and makes a fine bow, its just a little tension weak. Lets see some pics when you get started on it. You can use those rolled up dog bones for rawhide but you might want to thin it down a little first. Theyre usually pretty thick.

Offline kid bow

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 10:34:22 am »
Ok thank you. Can't find rawhide till deer season. Hunters that I know are pretty generous

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 03:00:41 pm »

Depending on where your at (here on the west coast) Eastern red cedar is not sold in HD, but you never know. The wood sold at HD's I have seen is western red cedar a very brittle wood, you could make a bow but wear safety glasses. No one is saying you can't make a bow....just trying to figure the species you have. :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 03:12:24 pm »

After sayin that, you say this:

Had Jon had they eventually dried out and cracked, had bug damage or broke outright.

So, are they still shooting great, or all they all broken? Cause it seems like Jon asked for pics, after you said you HAVE them, then you say you HAD them and they are all broke.  I'm confused.

Anyways, western cedar might make an ok bow 30# and under, but I wouldnt do anything beyond that. The red stuff is the good stuff, and lows sells that. IDK about the Depot though. As for proving us wrong, when you do it, Pics, or it never happened :)
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others