Author Topic: Pyramid Elm  (Read 13451 times)

charlie636

Re: Pyramid Elm
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2013, 03:32:00 am »
I heat-treat right after floor tillering and I get the belly a dark brown.  By the time I have finished tillering the bow there is only a slight discoloration of the wood left.I hope this is the right place to ask a question. I'm in San Diego and I don't know where to look for Elm. Would a Hardwood lumber supplier have it? What is the actual name of this wood?
Thank You

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2013, 09:58:52 am »
The genus name for Elm is Ulmus. 

Now I know that there has been a lot of talk about Red Elm here lately but if you do a bit of research you will find that there are a number of species of Elm that have Red as a common name.  Slippery Elm is called Red Elm but so is Cedar Elm and English Elm as well.  Now Slippery Elm is moderately dense wood but Cedar Elm is one of the most dense species of Elm out there and most likely an excellent bow wood.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2013, 12:57:32 pm »
Nice bow and job on that bow Marc.Your customer should be happy.Being ambidextrias[not sure of spelling] would be handy hunting or target shooting.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Bowman

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2013, 01:59:18 pm »
Real beauty and fantastic tiller. Like it a lot. :-) What is the difference betweeen the type of elm in North america and the wych elm that is commom here in Norway? I have made a lot of fantastic bows with wych elm. My favourite bow wood. :-) Your bow looks a bit like a classic Holmegaard. :-)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:07:43 pm by Bowman »
"for veik var kongens bue......."

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2013, 06:10:01 pm »
Besides the working properties I couldn't tell you what the difference is between Wych Elm and North American Elm as I've never worked any.  It is similar to White Elm in density but with strength properties closer to Rock Elm so I would imagine that it is a very good bow wood.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2013, 06:24:03 pm »
The full draw picture is amazing.  That is perfect tiller.  I agree with what has already been said about elm.  We have winged elm down here,  and with a good heat treating, it is amazing bow wood.  Even with my "gorilla tillering, I am always in a hurry to finish" way of doing, I have yet to break an elm bow.  Now if I could just find someone who enjoys splitting the stuff...... 

Awesome work as usual Mr. St Louis.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi