Author Topic: Old Osage build (tillering)  (Read 17284 times)

Offline seminolewind

Re: Old Osage build...
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 01:54:59 pm »
Ok so heres where it stands as of now. I made a jig to introduce the deflex after bending it at the handle. I am now ready for the buffalo tip overlays (there in the mail)  as my next step followed by sinew. It is floor tillered as it sits.
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2013, 01:56:04 pm »
Another view...
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline hatcha

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 03:26:21 pm »
Looks like you battled through to get to where you are now!  Great job so far!!

With regard to gluing tip overlays - I use Araldite (2 piece resin and hardener).  I put horn on bamboo a couple years back and it worked out well.

Looking forward to seeing more on this bow!

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 04:40:24 pm »
Looking great! SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 06:00:56 pm »
I figured since I am going to be tillering this thing soon I had better build a jig !

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 06:01:40 pm »
Another view...

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2013, 06:46:41 pm »
I really like your five curve design.  That should be quite lovely when it's done...

OneBow
:)

Offline ScottN

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2013, 11:47:11 am »
great idea for the tiller tree as well! wish i had the wall space for something like that.
...take me away...from the place I've been...          ...to another life...in another world...

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2013, 02:34:46 pm »
 Has this bow been finished yet ??? I'm really liking it
I like osage

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2013, 03:12:54 pm »
Has this bow been finished yet ??? I'm really liking it

+1. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2013, 08:20:12 am »
I'v been out of commission lately, I got my wisdom teeth pulled but I will be working on the boffalo horn tip overlays really soon followed by backing with sinew and black racers.

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline autologus

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2013, 09:27:28 am »
That is going to be one amazing bow.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2013, 04:24:09 pm »
Ok sorry about the delay for those who were following the build. Well I'm back at it and got the buffalo horn tip overlays completed. I had a couple horns that were well aged, I had to file down into them quite a bit to get rid of the cracking but in the end it worked out fine. I have never done any tip overlay work prior to this but with the wealth of information on this forum I was able to achieve great results.

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2013, 04:27:08 pm »
I cut the tip blank at an angle with a small hand saw...

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2013, 04:34:08 pm »
I started by sanding on my belt sander both the buffalo horn and the bow, followed by gluing the horn blank to the back of the bow at the tip. After a lot of research I decided to go with this CA gel superglue, I was very happy with it because it is in a gel form and does not run all over the place like a lot of thinner super glues. I also found it to make for nice joining surfaces and it appears to be holding very strong.

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.