Author Topic: Old Osage build (tillering)  (Read 17296 times)

mikekeswick

Re: Old Osage build...
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 04:55:11 am »
Good job on straightening it!
To get rid of the oil use some acetone. When it comes to sinewing it's a good idea to degrease the whole back anyway with osage. Again you can use acetone or just plain old hot soapy water. You will see an amazing amount of yellow come off! Keep going until the water runs pale yellow...I do mine in the shower  :D
Your recurves look pretty long to me. Remember that the benefit of making a bows tips recurved is the improved string angle so my advice with them is always go as short and sharp a bend as possible. This allows you to really shave them down and keep the weight low.
Also when you sinew it string it backwards and pull it into more reflex before adding the sinew. Another tip with sinew is to make sure the back ends up as crowned as you can make it. Try trapping the back before sinewing and then just putting the sinew on the central section. These things are to try and really strain the sinew, it can easily stretch way further than the wood can bend so doing all these things really gets the most out of it.
Good luck

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 08:19:34 am »
That osage isn't old...its "ripe" ;)  8)

Not much else for me to say cus it looks like you learned a few lessons along the way

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 02:48:32 pm »
Thanks "mikeswick" for the advice. I agree my curves are pretty long. Here's what I'm thinking about doing...I'm not sure if you can see by the pics but the handle portion of this stave is not very deep and the way the stave was laid out and cut by the original owner it has no indention on the sides either. This basically means no arrow shelf :( I am thinking about smoothing the rear part of the handle area down and making this into a 5 curve bow that bends (slightly) through the handle. This might help with my long reflexed tips and in my opinion makes a nice curvy look and will solve my handle issue while lending a plains Indian style to it...thoughts or advice?
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 03:20:08 pm »
Eddie is a terrible teacher.  Run!
1’—>1’

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 03:22:33 pm »
Looking goooooooooooood!!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline randman

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 03:30:28 pm »
Looks like a fine piece Seminole. You got three of my favorite things in the background there, Harley, smoker BBQ and a nice wood workbench......
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 06:30:24 pm »
"randman" you're right 3 of the essentials in life...well theres one more.. >:D Ok so here is todays work I bent the other tip and matched it up. I am really thinking about making this a 5 curve since its a long piece and I am a tall dude (6' 4") and I like my bows like I like my women CURVY ! Ill have to build a new jig for the deflex. I'll be back with more progress....
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 06:31:45 pm »
Another view...

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 06:34:47 pm »
Seminolewind, that one is coming right along!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2013, 06:44:04 pm »
Eddie is a terrible teacher.  Run!

Hey he taught me how to drink beer pretty well !

Heres another quick question...whats the best glue/epoxy for the tip overlays ???

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2013, 06:50:11 pm »
Loctite Super glue. And I'm back from SC and just cut some Bison horn today. You can't have it real easy with an old piece of wood like that, no fun there. ;)

I'm not supposed to drink beer, you coerced me to do it. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2013, 06:51:50 pm »

whats the best glue/epoxy for the tip overlays ???

Smooth on ea-40 epoxy is really good, but I have been using the gorilla impact superglue lately with great results. Some use the 5min epoxy from the big box stores, but I have had a couple let go on me with that stuff.
>>>---------->

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2013, 08:32:38 pm »
Tite bond 2 works good for the tips it's easy to use and is cheap. How thick is your handle area ???? You could always glue on another piece of wood to build up the handle area so you could cut an arrow rest
I like osage

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2013, 08:38:35 pm »
Loc tite superglue and you are back to sanding on those tips before the day is over.  I have had better luck with titebond, but it takes longer to dry.   Use the superglue!  I am anxious to see it bending!!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2013, 08:59:29 pm »
Loc tite superglue and you are back to sanding on those tips before the day is over.  I have had better luck with titebond, but it takes longer to dry.   Use the superglue!  I am anxious to see it bending!!

Does it matter if it takes a little longer ????? Bow makings all about patience, and waiting a few more hours for a better glue joint sounds better to me if I plan on having the bow for a very long time
I like osage