Author Topic: Red oak blow up :(  (Read 4470 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Red oak blow up :(
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 02:09:31 pm »
probably dryness, or maybe it was a much less dense piece of wood? looks like all the boards that ive had explode because of dryness
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 02:11:13 pm »
My first instinct was that the wood was too dry, but I didn't want to say anything because I wasn't sure. But now that others are saying the same, it makes me feel smart  8)

Offline randman

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 03:39:02 pm »
Yeah that's too bad because looking at the grain it looks pretty good. I'm thinking too dry also. A run-off break would have snapped off clean and that break you can see fracturing cracks up into the remaining wood away from the break.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline crwjr

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 03:59:55 pm »
To dry? How do you fix that? Use a backing?? Thanks for the info though.
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 04:05:03 pm »
The corners need to be well rounded  before any serious bending happens....round the corners first next time..that can also contribute to a break....where was the wood stored and for how long,and where do you live? That'll maybe solve if it was too dry or not?

Offline crwjr

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 04:27:18 pm »
The corners need to be well rounded  before any serious bending happens....round the corners first next time..that can also contribute to a break....where was the wood stored and for how long,and where do you live? That'll maybe solve if it was too dry or not?
Will do on the rounding corners, I live in NE Indiana, and it was stored at Home depot and for how long???
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 04:45:48 pm »
I am going to say either the wood was too dry, or it had rot damage. I know that sounds wierd, but I have broken several bows that appear to be made from perfect red oak. The ones that survive.... generally shoot OK.
Well, it could also be from a piece of wood being less dense than it looked.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"