Author Topic: update 48" osage  (Read 4936 times)

Offline lostarrow

Re: update 48" osage
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 03:16:22 pm »
If you have a tripod or someone else taking the pics, you can use the multiframe /action setting on the camera to give you a really good indication of where the bow is bending as you draw. I've found this quite usefull . As the others have said, you'll likely find that your limbs are only working at the fades.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 04:37:10 pm »
You have read all the advice I could ever give. I will say one thing. Your bow is a testament as to osages' undeniable strength. No other wood would allow that, sinewed or not.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 04:45:38 pm »
Hi drums,
How did you hear about the you tube video? And you are correct , that is why I used osage, next one will be black locust, or maybe maple. And it will be a similar design.
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 04:49:00 pm »
Ive seen plenty of others make that same bow in the past and they referenced Youtube.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 04:55:56 pm »
Ohh I see, thanks for your help
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline bow101

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 05:46:53 pm »
I shall not disagree with what Pappy says... ;)..  but hopefully things work out.  That is one RANK looking little fella......... 8)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 06:20:07 pm »
Super feedbak guys thank you,
Christian Soldier,
For future reference, you might want to try a shorter handle/fade section or a slightly bending handle section.
The handle is 4" and the fades are 1 1/2" Are you saying to elimiate the fades and work them into the 4 inch handle?

Yeah you could do that, in a 'slightly bending handle' (different than a 'bending handle' mind you) the transition is pretty smooth and slight. As Pappy and BH said, you need all the working limb you can get on shorter bows. The solution there is to make the handle/fade slightly working or just use longer staves ;) . Also as others said, the outer portions of your bow are a little stiff so making those work more would contribute to better cast.

Again I am still fairly new to this archery game so take that into consideration. I have several bows with those exact handle dimensions you gave (minus the cut in shelf), but those are on 5-6 foot bows. You've got to adapt some things when you are working with shorter staves, and one of the easiest ways to do that (IME) is to make a smaller, slightly working handle and shoot off the knuckle (take a look at the plains style bow handles). Just things to keep in mind. Keep on building.  :)
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 06:21:58 pm »
Hi 101'

That is one RANK looking little fella......... 8)

Maybe I am out of the loop but what does rank mean? I am not sure to be insulted or not. Lol
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

Unknown author.

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 06:26:28 pm »
Hi Christian Soldier,
Thanks for the help.
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

Unknown author.

Offline bubby

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 06:27:31 pm »
this is a 4 " grip with 1 1/2" fades, it appears that you measured the handle/fade area and then made your "fades", or maybe you just have tiny hands :laugh:http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt320/bubncheryl/Picture006-10.jpg
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,32928.0.html
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 06:30:45 pm »
That's very slow for Osage backed with sinew it has to be do to the fact that you have a lot of bend near the fades and also that it's such a light poundage normally a 40-45 pound bow should shoot upwards of 140 fps
I like osage

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 06:36:36 pm »
Lol good one buddy ;D
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

Unknown author.

Offline bow101

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 06:53:54 pm »
Hi 101'

That is one RANK looking little fella......... 8)

Maybe I am out of the loop but what does rank mean? I am not sure to be insulted or not. Lol

In my time Rank went "Cool"........ 8)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 07:07:13 pm »
Lol very cool Ty
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

Unknown author.

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 09:50:41 pm »
Thanks all for the help, starting the next bow in a few days and will post pics on this bow when I finish it out.
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

Unknown author.