Author Topic: new to me build!  (Read 1766 times)

Offline bushboy

new to me build!
« on: April 05, 2013, 07:17:51 pm »
Hey all,I'm kinda getting the hang of board bows ,but this staves offers up some new challenges. Having undulation on the backside on both the length and width I am kinda stimeed how to begin?I don't mean to be to vague as I ususal,but that's me. Should I pick a ring and wedge spilt it a ring or two above it ,then remove the early wood carefully ,leaving the knots higher?the rings on the pictured end are quite thick,prob 1/4 or moreand the stump end are quite tight,maybe less than an 1/8.the stave is 68" long and the pictured end is 2-3/16 wide x 2-3/4 deep and simular dimentions on the opposing end will I be able to heat treat the twist out pictured and if so at what part of the build be the best time to do this?th'x bb!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

Re: new to me build!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 07:19:26 pm »
Her she is.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 08:19:40 pm »
What wood is that?
If it is osage...
All I have to say is get that twist out, and you will have a nice stave.
Maybe keep that back ring? Leave the knots high, and maybe back it.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 08:34:25 pm »
Yes, osage orange.

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 08:42:26 pm »
I wouldn't worry about that twist.  Its not enough to warrant all the heating required to remove it, and most of it will disappear as you rough out and tiller.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 09:10:26 pm »
#1....drawknife and chase the second or third ring down and seal the back with shellac for safety insurance

#2...layout and cutout your front profile on the back following the grain contours

#3....reduce to floor tiller or where you can about short brace the bow

#4...put it over a form and heat it up with a heat gun inducing 2-3" of reflex....this will take most the offending twist out...there might be a lil left but dont sweat it cus that isn't a whole lot to worry about to begin with anyways....make a form if you don't have one cus you'll need one anyways

#4...tiller...etc...

And the end with the bigger rings is the stump end,not the way you mentioned it fyi

That staves a walk in the park ;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 09:27:31 pm by blackhawk »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 09:24:20 pm »
No different than boards, your thickness taper rules. Keep the side to side thickness nutz and keep the taper moving with no thick spots.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 09:35:54 pm »
The thickness taper is what I,m confused about cuz across the width. In spots there's as much as a 1/2 " in difference from side to side if that makes sense?

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 09:49:14 pm »
Oh no...the worlds not perfectly flat and straight anymore...ahhhhhhhh!!!!! What do we do...lol :laugh:

Once you lay it out and cut it out half of that will go away...and it may only be like that at the end of the stave...things will be much easier to see when you are actually on the ring your going to use....and when you draw a carpeneter line or facet line along each side you will follow the contour of the back on each side of the stave...stop thinking perfectly rectangular ;)

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 09:53:09 pm »
Thank bro,how come it dosen't grow like house trim?lol?!

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 10:01:17 pm »
Read my reply #4 here in this thread where I describe and show some pics on how to facet and draw a carpenters line following the contours of the back of the bow along each side and how to reduce down to each line at angles...dang...that was ahwile ago..lol

https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28657.0/nowap.html

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 10:06:28 pm »
Thank bro,how come it dosen't grow like house trim?lol?!

I don't think I'd make bows if it all grew like house trim ;)

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 10:23:27 pm »
Hawk, I think you missed a step between #1 and #2.  #1B split the belly stave out.  There's 2 bows in that stave.  UNLESS the other end is a lot thinner.   :)  Trying to be a trouble maker. ;)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw