Author Topic: Hazelnut bow build-a-long (fixed pictures)  (Read 286111 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Hazelnut bow build-a-long
« Reply #165 on: December 15, 2007, 08:18:22 pm »
Thanks Gordon, that does make for an attractive bow ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2007, 12:49:46 am »
Gordon:  Outstanding build-a-long.  You've set the standard, and now that the Hazelnut's nearing completion, what are you going to do next so as not to leave us hanging?

Otoe 
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Gordon

« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2007, 03:02:38 am »
Thanks Otoe. It will probably be a while before I start another build-a-long - they are a lot of work to pull together. I'm kind of hoping that this will spur some of the other excellent bowyers on this site to do the same. Some of the build-a-longs that I would love to see include a short recurve (hint to RyanO), west coast indian flatbow, bamboo backed tri-lam (hint to bowmo), self-backed flight-bow, turkish horn bow, osage character self-bow, a Gauva longbow (Manny?) and a sinew backed juniper brush bow (Keenan and/or Dave). There are so many great bowyers on this site just think of the wealth of knowledge that would release.
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2007, 08:58:21 pm »
After a few coats of finish have been applied it is time to sign the bow. For this task I will enlist the help of my wife Jayne who has much better handwriting skills than I do. She will use white acrylic artists ink with a calligraphy-style pen.

The area to be lettered is prepared by sanding lightly with 400-grit sandpaper. My signature is written on the top limb and the owner’s name and bow specs on the bottom limb.

And here is what the lettering looks like when done.

Now I can continue applying the remaining coats of finish to the bow.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:47:58 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #169 on: December 17, 2007, 11:55:05 am »
Good idea :). I did the same, that's about as far as wifey gets into bowering ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #170 on: December 18, 2007, 12:02:06 am »
Gordon, thats comming out real nice.  :) I'm thinking about taking the whole build along thing one step farther and making my own how to video. We just got a new digital camcorder and computer that came with editing software. I have the technology, right now I just don't know if I'll have the time with a little one on the way here in a month!  :o
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Gordon

« Reply #171 on: December 18, 2007, 01:49:23 am »
Ryan, if you do decide to make a video please, please make it one of your recurves!
Gordon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #172 on: December 18, 2007, 07:14:26 am »
Gordan that turned out great and my wife also dose the wirghting on my bows,my
wrighting looks like crap.Very nice job.Ryan love to see a recurve video.Maybe I could understand that. ;) ;D Of course you would make it look way to easy.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #173 on: December 18, 2007, 07:24:05 am »
I tried to get my wife to do the writing on mine and she told me "You made it you Sign it" ;D

I just haven't found the right bribe yet ;)

Gordon great build along glad you took the time to do this and share it with us.

"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Gordon

« Reply #174 on: December 18, 2007, 12:53:11 pm »
Thanks Dana, but there is more yet to come. The weather has been rainy so I have to wait a long time between coats of finish. Also I will not be able to work on it over the holidays so I won't have any updates until January.
Gordon

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #175 on: December 19, 2007, 12:37:30 pm »
Will do on the recurve thing.  ;D  I just have to find the time to clean my messy shop before I can start any kind of video....... :P
I don't want to be embarrassed.  :-[
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Gordon

« Reply #176 on: December 21, 2007, 08:30:21 pm »
After 10 coats of Tru-Oil the application of finish is complete. When I return from vacation I will add an arrow rest, wrap the handle and rub out the finish.

Have a happy holiday all!

BTW, any of you guys live in the Phoenix, AZ area?
Gordon

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #177 on: December 23, 2007, 05:21:29 am »
Great read Gordon, in my book you're one of the best bowyers around nowadays.

It's good to see the different tecniques used, you're surely high tec :D :D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Gordon

« Reply #178 on: December 28, 2007, 07:18:09 pm »
Manny, you are much too kind. It is you who inspires me. Someone who can craft a bow with little more than a sharp blade and an uncanny feel for the wood. I strive to be more like you someday.
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #179 on: January 02, 2008, 04:26:07 pm »
10 coats of Tru-Oil have been applied and allowed to cure for about a week. The bow is ready to build the foundation for a handle wrap. First I wrap the handle area with 50# braided Dacron fishing line and soak it with superglue. This will ensure that the rawhide and leather handle build-up will stay securely in place.

I am going to fashion the arrow rest from a wooden golf tee. This is a trick that I learned from John Strunk. I first flatten the top of the tee using a sheet of sandpaper laid on my bench.

Then I grind the tee in half using 60-grit sandpaper and trim the tail off.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:48:40 pm by Gordon »
Gordon