Author Topic: Just cut a ton of hickory...  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Just cut a ton of hickory...
« on: April 04, 2013, 05:48:51 pm »
I just cut a TON of hickory...
for me 3 6 inch logs is a ton.
issue- it is mostly short stufff....
Here is how I got it-
My neighbors have had hickory trees for years.... I have had my eye on them trees...
Well, tree removal guys come and cut them down. they do not chop them up, just cut into like 10 foot segments...
I walk over, explain who I am and why I want the wood, and they look at each other and are like, YEA!
They would have had to cut up 6 inch logs into 1 foot segments. there were 3 logs. their chainsaw had just run out of gas. the had cut the trees down, then the chainsaw ran out. I was like, ok, I will trim the branches with my hatchet, you guys just have to help me carry the logs...
and they were like COOLIO!
It was sweet.
I will be  making a hickory bow in a few months...

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Marks

Re: Just cut a ton of hickory...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 11:02:39 am »
Sounds like luck is on your side. Congrats.

Just curious about your name.  Are you a SLINGER of THE SQUIRREL or are THE SQUIRRELS LINGERING.
Sometimes I read into things too much.

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 11:45:04 am »
Just curious about your name.  Are you a SLINGER of THE SQUIRREL or are THE SQUIRRELS LINGERING.
Sometimes I read into things too much.

he's the slinger and i the slayer  :laugh: :laugh: sounds good, what is it with sqirrels and hickory? i just finnished tillering my first hickory bow today. good luck with yours! SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 12:24:38 pm »
That is a good find for shure. I am new to making bows and have only made 6 so far. All out of shag bark hickory. The only suggestion is get it real dry. Most of mine after a month of drying near the wood stove took set due to still being a bit wet. They still made great bows though. The worst being 2.5 after extensive shooting since Jan 15th. It is hard as heck once dry though 8)