Author Topic: Hatchet advice  (Read 12159 times)

Offline Caveman_Sam

Hatchet advice
« on: April 04, 2013, 08:28:57 am »
Hello! Im looking to turn split wood into bow staves.

I have no experience with this sort of thing, but I have a lot of enthusiasm and a will to learn.

Everyone seems to be going mad for Gransfors Bruks at the moment.  To a complete noob The pricetag is high, but surprisingly affordable when compared with high end knives. Are they really that good? 

The carpenters Axe by GB would seem to be the most logically named axe for the job.. However I have no experience with an axe with that bit shape.  It also have the seeming advantage of being able to double more as a knife due to the straight blade. If it can chop wood too, and it is better at carpentry work then it has a wider range of use and would be a better one off choice. 

If the straight blade is in fact a hinderance to chopping, and even woodworking then the wildlife hatchet seems to be a more manageable sized, conventional shaped axe compared to the small forest axe, which has the reputation as the best camping all rounder.. but I am looking primarily for the best tool for roughing out my staves. 

advice on these axes as well as any other quality, but well priced ones you can recommend gratefully received!

Thanks

Sam

Offline gpw

Re: Hatchet advice
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 08:57:36 am »
  Sam , after trying many axes/hatchets over the years , our favorite is a “broadaxe" style hatchet ,a basilled edge, also called a side axe, beveled on one side only  (right hand for me) , and allows much more precise wood removal than the usual double edge...   JMHO

Like this one ... http://www.fullsource.com/cooper-tools-11554ct/

Offline CaptainBeaky

• Maker of stuff
    • Westmead Artificing
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 10:24:51 am »
Gransfors do make some very nice axes, if somewhat pricey.
The Carpenter's Axe probably isn't the one you want for this job - have a look at the Large Swedish Carving axe instead. They also make a couple of broad-axes which look exceptionally nice, but these have made the jump from "quite expensive" to "HOW MUCH?!!"

I have used several hatchets for roughing out staves, and the Swedish Carver is the best I have used. I have also tried the GB Wildlife Hatchet, the Scandinavian Forest Axe (OK, a bit big as a hatchet), a 2lb Kent pattern hatchet and an old Brades Criterion -the LSCA is by far the best to use for the job.
The law hangs the man and flogs the woman
That steals the goose from off the common
But lets the greater villain loose
That steals the common from under the goose.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:49:13 am »
purchased a Wetterlings carpenters about a year ago specifically for bow making.
they are a tad less expensive than the GB and can be sourced locally from fellas i trust and like to do business with(harry j epsteins hardware store in kc-they have an online store also).
have roughed out numerous bows with it and have to say it is one of the best tools purchases i have made in some time.
it is strictly for bow making. it will never get used for splitting wood while i own it.
the shape of the head lets you choke up real tight for excellent control.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Holten101

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 11:07:07 am »
I have used a varity of hatches/axes and machetes/big knives...but once I tried this: http://www.outnorth.dk/da-fiskars/back-axe.php my experimentation stopped...its ugly as hell, but nothing I have tried beats it for roughing out staves.

Now I just need its bigger brother and im set;-)

Cheers

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 11:08:18 am »
I love my Gransfors Bruks! It was a gift to me so I guess that makes it harder to weigh the advantage vs. price but it cuts through wood like butter and holds an edge very well. I have the swedish carving axe and it seems just right for roughing out staves. I say go for it, I doubt you'll regret it.

Offline randman

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 01:03:26 pm »
I'm with GPW. The one I use is a carpenters hatchet with a bevel on one side only (right side when held in hand for a right hander - left side for a left hander). That way it cuts like a big chisel or plane blade and can work at a low angle to the wood and leaves a fairly flat surface on the work piece. I can grip up close to the head and just push it down (instead of chopping) the wood surface and make shavings like a plane for fine work. you can't do that with a double bevel because you have to have the head at a steeper angle to the wood.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 01:06:15 pm »
Cool Thread...
Still looking for the Right Hand Axe as well..

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 02:10:38 pm »
My current favorite is the Fiskars X7. Cheap, and will outchop nearly anything else on the market.

Offline Caveman_Sam

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 10:45:28 am »
Hello all, thanks for the replies. You have given me something to think about.

A few questions.  I need to split my log. Would a carving style bit with the bevel on one side be suitable for starting off a split? Or would it bore off at an angle?

How well would a Fiskars x7 take being used as a wedge and hammered on the back side of the head? 

Offline sonny

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 11:02:08 am »

best $35.00 I've spent as far as bowmaking tools goes.
works well for starting splits in staves as well as roughing to shape.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 11:19:20 am »
Hello all, thanks for the replies. You have given me something to think about.

A few questions.  I need to split my log. Would a carving style bit with the bevel on one side be suitable for starting off a split? Or would it bore off at an angle?

How well would a Fiskars x7 take being used as a wedge and hammered on the back side of the head?
Make a small split-thing, put a wedge in it, and whale like crazy with a sledge.
I use a $15 hatchet I got at a hardware store for lots of things, it looks just like a Husqvarna, minus the handle has some hickory heartwood on it.
it also is probably a few ounces lighter.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline DavidV

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 12:17:51 pm »
I you're into this sort of thing.....

I get all my hatchet and axes from Flea Markets, Usually you'll find lots of ax heads that just need to be spruced up a little bit and a new handle made. The steel is really high quality and they're only like 5 to 10 bucks. I make my handles out of hickory or persimmon because both have good shock resistance.
Springfield, MO

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 01:48:28 pm »
The Gransfors bruks Swedish carving axe (fifth from left) is, as has been mentioned, a very good axe for roughing out staves (although roughing out is a bit misleading as very fine work can be achieved with this axe) and in my opinion is one of the best available for bow making. That said you really need to ask yourself how important bow making is to you. Plenty of very serviceable tools can be made for next to nothing. The third axe from the left is my second all time favourite axe. It is a better all round axe than the gransfors carving axe, and the axe I take on hiking and canoe trips. And it cost next to nothing to buy and only took a bit of time and care to turn into a great all round tool. The wildlife hatchet (sixth from left) is a very good all round tool and again well worth looking at for bow making and general wood craft. So as said its down to how much you want to spend. My personal advice would be go for an old axe and give it a re-furb, that way you don't spend much and you have something that means something personal to you.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 01:51:06 pm »
nathan-worthy member of the axe mob!
wild women don't get the blues