Author Topic: Here's another  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Don

Here's another
« on: April 19, 2013, 01:04:58 pm »
After breaking 2 more I came up with this one.
Made a horse shoe nail notcher which works well.
I'm trying to get the flakes to travel to the center, which they are not.
Please let me know what I need to do to make these better.

Offline bubby

Re: Here's another
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 01:40:18 pm »
great start Don, to get those flakes to travel more abrade the edges good and push straight in, then down and after awhile you'll be driving flakes an inch easy
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Don

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 01:45:26 pm »
great start Don, to get those flakes to travel more abrade the edges good and push straight in, then down and after awhile you'll be driving flakes an inch easy
OK I will give that a go on the next ones.
Thank you

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 04:09:35 pm »
Also try to space out your flakes to make a ridge between them. Then Lower your platfourm edges buy a straight down( not trying to drive a flake) now your below center line Abrade the platform and then pressure flaking like described before. Flakes love to run ridges.

Offline Don

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 08:44:30 pm »
Also try to space out your flakes to make a ridge between them. Then Lower your platfourm edges buy a straight down( not trying to drive a flake) now your below center line Abrade the platform and then pressure flaking like described before. Flakes love to run ridges.
Will do. I've read some books and watch several youtube videos [jackcrafty] who makes it look so easy.
It's much hard  when you get right down to it, fun though.
Thank you

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 02:24:14 pm »
Looks good Don. Good advice so far. With bottle bottoms, try getting rid of the concavity on the outside of the bottom. Nice point, I wouldn't want it flung at me  ;D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 09:37:46 pm »
Good job
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Don

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 10:38:23 pm »
Thanks
Made a couple more and with the suggestions I am getting my flakes to travel farther
but not quite to center yet. And still not quite flat but thickness is a little better.
Was finishing up a Cahokia style last night and broke it while notching, it was going to be my last snap with the
notching tool.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 04:11:12 pm »
If I had a dollar for each time I broke a point taking "just one last flake".....  Gets us all for sure.  For what it's worth, I think bottle bottoms are a lot harder to knapp than a good spall of chert.  I always break glass it seems.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 09:49:47 pm »
Don,keep knapping & it will all fall into place eventually. The best advice I can give , try to watch an experienced knapper Knap, & remember its just glass, or a stone until its finished. Don't get dishearten when they break. Many, many breaks will numb you ....... Eventually .
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Don

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 10:33:55 pm »
Thanks fellas.
I had a few choice works at first but just picked up another piece and started again.

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 01:32:01 am »
don if the flakes at the wide enddont get to the center, drive some from the base before you do any more flaking you can get a flake a long ways, are you using a hand pad? if ya don't have one pm me and i'll set ya up
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Don

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 03:54:00 pm »
don if the flakes at the wide enddont get to the center, drive some from the base before you do any more flaking you can get a flake a long ways, are you using a hand pad? if ya don't have one pm me and i'll set ya up
Yes I am. But thank you.
I think why it broke was I was trying to grab to much material.