Author Topic: New to Bow Making. need some advuce and tips.  (Read 6790 times)

Offline kevinsmith5

Re: New to Bow Making. need some advuce and tips.
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 12:07:45 am »
I buy white oak and hickory from a custom trim shop. Personally they seem the best to me for beginner board bows. One of my first board bows was a red oak though and it was made completely by following along the step by step instructions on YouTube that a user named "boarriorbows" posted for "building a high performance long bow for under $10". The only place i changed things up was when i backed it, i used linen instead of the drywall tape he used. It was actually one of the fastest bows I've ever made ( though it was a Molly not a traditional longbow). In fact I may have to repeat that build with some of this dense white oak I have now.....

Offline hunter791

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 11:56:27 am »
@ Kevin. This is the exact step by step I'm using at the moment with an oak board. (Boarriorbows).
I'm hoping its going to turn out well. Will post some completed pics when I'm done.

I'd like to make limbs out of boards too. Is this safe and possible? I can get lots of hardwood scraps from a friend at a cabinate shop. All at no cost. Not worried about screwing limbs up as I can get more. All lengths between 20 and 30 inches.

Onto gathering staves...

Oaks or maples? I'm in Northern Ontario so both are abundant. Are there particular species of either I should really look for? They don't have leaves at the moment so I'm looking on the ground for fallen leaves. I did find a decent tree last night that has recently been felled by someone else. For surveying purposes I think its a maple. Maybe... I'll post a pic later today.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 12:07:31 pm »
Where in Northern Ontario are you? That's a pretty big place ;).If you narrow it down ,we might be able to steer you onto some other species that will make a good bow ,that grow in your region. I'm guessing if you have lots of Oak and Maple, you aren't that far North (relatively speaking. If you have those two, you might also have Yellow Birch , Serviceberry, Elm (white and red)  ,Ash (if the  bugs haven't eaten them all yet). Choke Cherry, Pin Cherry, Lilac, And the much sought after Hop Hornbeam.You'll likely have Dog wood ,wild rose, and Hazel for arrows if you choose to go that route.

Offline hunter791

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 12:24:55 pm »
Let put it this way. Lake Nipissing is in my backyard.. ;)
Yes I'm surrounded by yellow and white birch. But as far as I gather. Birch is no good for bows. Am I wrong?
No Ash that I know of. I've even asked around.

Never heard of serviceberry, hornbeam. Ill google some images. Maybe they're here too...

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 12:54:10 pm »
Yep , should have all that was mentioned . HHB (hop hornbeam ) grows smaller up there but with crazy tight growthrings. Should have Ash, might have Elm. Will have dogwood,hazel ,Seviceberry (We always called them Sugar plum) ,just about everything I mentioned. Google them ,learn them,use them. I'm from the Soo area.

Offline hunter791

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 01:58:15 pm »
Thank you for the info.
There is tons of Ironwood around here. (HHB) But I'll have to wait until I can identify them easily before I get some.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 04:31:24 pm »
Google is great for that. Look at twig ,bark and leaf. Also watch for twist in the bark . Very common in HHB. Windy areas are the worst for twisting trees, but hills can help them twist as well.

Offline hunter791

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 04:41:41 pm »
I'm just going to have to be patient while searching for a stave. Waiting for some leaves to show.
Ya. I learned the hard way. Cut a maple the other day and it went wonky when I was splitting it. I'll just walk my dog more. Keeping an eye out.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 10:31:26 pm »
Most of the species mentioned are easy to ID from there bark ,and if still unsure you look at the twigs.