Author Topic: Draw Knives  (Read 6824 times)

Offline yellow feather

Draw Knives
« on: November 02, 2007, 01:24:50 pm »
I may be posting this in the wrong place ,but could anybody tell me what brands of draw knives are the best and which ones to stay away from. I'm talking about older knives not new. I've been looking on ***** auctions and there are alot of diff. brands. Thanks in advance
                                                        David
San Angelo, Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Draw Knives
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 01:36:12 pm »
David, I don't think one brand is necessarily better than another. Most of the older draw knives were made with good steel where the newer one have good steel at the edge but crappy stuff for the body of the blade. You should expect to pay about $20 for a decent used draw knife.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 02:06:05 pm »
I bought a set of three off e-bay for $25, Granted I had to try a few times and play the game but it was worth it.
Send me a PM Yellow Feather and we can talk a trade for one.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 10:33:08 am »
I lucked out and got my great uncles draw knife, it was in with  other tools included in a pre auction offering to family members at the estate sale when my great aunt passed away. I used it once so far, it has sentimental value, I want to make a bow using it as a memorium to him. only thiing is, unless my son gets into woodworking/bow making I don't know how it will continue in the family lineage. All I can do is impress upon my son the value to me of this tool and maybe he'll make sure he takes it as a rememberance of me when I'm gone.
VB

Trapper

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 05:19:25 pm »
Greenlee makes the best draw knife, I payed sixty bucks for mine , but it was brand new.  And the other three Ive found at garage sales. and got fairly reasonable. Ive got one older one thats my favorite though. I keep one razor sharp and the others I keep a fair edge on but not real sharp.     Trapper

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 05:23:41 pm »
There are many brands of old drawknives.  My personal favorite is a Shapleigh Diamond Edge.  Keen kutter is also good although expensive, and I know someone who says Ohio Tool Works has the best steel.  I have drawknives from all these companies and more (around 30 at last count), very few of them seem to be of inferior steel.  I had a Pexto I wasn't too thrilled with.  Wilkinson makes a nice folder.

I think its more important to find one that fits.  I recommend an 8" with a slightly curved blade, with solid handles that aren't loose.  Be sure the end caps on the handles are both there too.  Sharpen it with a file, not a grinder.  I wouldn't give more than $25 for one.  Some of the brand names go for more since they are bought by collectors.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Dane

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 08:57:12 pm »
Haunt antique stores, if there are any in your area. I found mine in one, made by HD Smith and Company in Connecticut, It is at least 100 years old, and has a 12.5" slightly curving blade. It is just a fantastic tool, with a wooden sheath, and I paid about 50 bucks for it. The steel is great, holds a razor sharp edge, and I like the idea of using very old tools, giving them a new life. I wonder who once owned it and what they made with it.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts