Author Topic: What kind of bow wood is in West Virginia?  (Read 2098 times)

Offline bigbird583

What kind of bow wood is in West Virginia?
« on: April 02, 2013, 11:53:55 am »
     Hello Everybody.  Well Life has been pretty busy lately and I haven't been doing much bow stuff but I still spend alot of time thinking about it.  I did get to finally get down to my sisters in GA for Easter and stopped along the way and loaded up some Savannah River Chert on the way.  Now I can get started doin some knapping.

And this weekend I will be headed up to West Virginia for a few months for a job.  I am hoping to find some good bow wood while I am there so I was wondering what kind of trees you all have.  I will be staying in the Clarksburg area so if anybody is in that area and wanted to get together and help a new bowyer out it would be greatly appreciated.  I could also bring some extra Chert along if anybody was interested.  I should have access to alot of trees on the job so if anybody needed some I might be able to help you get a few staves too. 

Bird

Offline Joec123able

Re: What kind of bow wood is in West Virginia?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:08:03 pm »
West Virginia has plenty of hickory !And also ash, black walnut, cedar, oak, black locust and countless others west Virginia has lots of trees and plenty of bow woods
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:22:59 pm by Joec123able »
I like osage

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 01:32:50 pm »
What about Ostrya virginiana?
What's in a name...
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 06:42:20 pm »
Your asking the wrong person,and should be asking my wife as she's from west by god...lol :laugh:

I'm two hours north of clarksburg n spend plenty of time down that way and its full of "eastern woodlands"...lots of woodlands ;) I'd look for stuff you can't get in your own area where you live now...where do you live right now? Unfortunetly there's isn't much osage there,and is very difficult to locate if there is....id look for eastern hophornbeam,hickory,elm,and black locust for first choices...then there's the oaks,white ash, black walnut(arrrggh), american hornbeam, eastern red cedar, etc.....and the list goes on.....