Author Topic: How limb thickness and how to not mess up my Osage.  (Read 951 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

How limb thickness and how to not mess up my Osage.
« on: April 02, 2013, 02:09:44 am »
I've been busy and I admit dragging my heels on my first Osage bow.  My brother sent me a pair of the 3 Rivers Osage boards.  I did a diagonal taper cut so I'll get 2 bows from the pair of boards.  I want to do a reflex deflexed bow bamboo backed.  I'm aiming for about 55# with a "V" splice at the center of the bow.

I have no experience with Osage.  How thick should I make it out  near the tips?  I guess for the reflex deflex it isn't that big a deal  but I'll also be doing a recurve.

I'll probably be using a heat gun to bend the tips.  So how thick should I go on that.

I do a lot of staring at this wood.  Double checking what I have done and what I'm about to do.. then set it aside and go to bed for fear of hasty mistakes.

I think I could get a core lamination sawed off since I'll be laminating and building up the handle.  That will make bending the mid section where I plan to put the "V" splice easier and reduce the risk of popping that joint.  I'd like to band saw it's rough dimensions.

Oh... When bending the recurves think it will be enough to back it with a thin piece of Ipe or Hickory?  What is safest for the wood?

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: How limb thickness and how to not mess up my Osage.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 09:54:29 am »
Not sure what to tell you on a recurve, but I just made a bamboo backed osage that is 60" t2t. It bends in the handle at full draw and I left the bamboo a little thick (by mistake), therefore, the osage is scary thin. It sure doesn't take much osage for a full weight bow. This one is 42# at 28". I am working on the handle, now, and will post in a couple of days.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA