Author Topic: Rocky Mountain Juniper?  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Utmostcone

Rocky Mountain Juniper?
« on: April 02, 2013, 05:24:46 pm »
Just wondering if Rocky Mountain Juniper (Juniperus scopulorum) is any good for making bows. I have a fairly big one in my yard that we're cutting down soon and I want to know if its worth saving some for bows. I know its closely related to ERC. It also has lots of branches and that means knots i guess :/
Boe a hyn: neled herain, dan caer menig?
Nedin dagor hen ú-'erir ortheri. Natha daged dhaer.

Offline Joec123able

Re: Rocky Mountain Juniper?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 05:42:20 pm »
Yea it works well when sinew backed but can make self bows to. I had a crappy play around juniper bow blow up on me and cut my chin open felt like I got punched really hard in the face lol
I like osage

Offline Utmostcone

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 05:46:24 pm »
Owch that must'ev sucked! I think i can get 3-4 bows out of this one :) as for backing, i dont have any sinew nor any way to get it so i think i'll just make self bows out of it
Boe a hyn: neled herain, dan caer menig?
Nedin dagor hen ú-'erir ortheri. Natha daged dhaer.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 05:53:03 pm »
I am guessing it would.  The knots in the erc I have worked are a bugger.  I would suggest backing it with something when you do make them.  Just as well save some of the wood if it is coming out of your own yard!  Good luck.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 03:21:30 am »
Howdy,  Until my mother in law had to leave the ranch  ( age related health issues), I cut a lot of "cedar"  The ranch was in Cherry Co. NE, and as near as I can tell the Cedar there is a mix of ERC, Rocky Mtn Juniper and hybrids.  The bottom line is that I think it's great stuff.   The trees I was cutting provided much denser wood than store bought ERC lumber.  Getting a truly straight-grained stave was possible and the wood is easy to work.   I made ELB style self bows, sinew backed bows and one hickory backed bow. 
If you can find some straight-grained wood, I would definitely set it aside for bow making.   Juniper has a reputation for blowing-up from tension failures so you need to make sure you have a pristine back &/ or back the stave.   

Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers