Author Topic: Black locust standing dead?  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Black locust standing dead?
« on: April 01, 2013, 07:53:06 pm »
I got quite a bit of black locust during a late summer storm, two of the logs(I could just about fit my arms around them) had been standing dead. I split them and sealed them, the bark was peeling already so I used the wedge to take the rest off. It doesn't look buggy & not much checking, but before I go and chase a ring I was wondering if it was worth it... I have never worked with this wood before and don't know what to expect.
Will having been standing dead adversely effect it?
Billy
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

blackhawk

Re: Black locust standing dead?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 08:27:57 pm »
As long as the heartwood is still good looking it'll more than likely be OK...I've made bows from dead standing locust

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 08:37:08 pm »
I say give it a whirl ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 09:18:14 pm »
I tried dead standing locust from here and it failed. It actually delaminated like a fungi got into the early wood only. The late wood was as hard as a rock and solid. This might not be the case where you live. Give it a try...just be alert.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 09:24:08 pm »
I made an eastern woodlands style bow from a dead standing black locust, it seemed to work just fine.
>>>---------->

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 11:45:06 pm »
I just finished a flipped tip bow from a windfall LARGE BL and it seems good, shoots well and has gorgeous grain.
though it turned out more underweight than i was hoping for.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 01:13:49 am »
Should work fine just go for it. Probably have to go down a few rings or so
I like osage

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 01:18:44 am »
I've pulled BL fence posts out of the ground that were so old the barbed wire was rusted off and after drying they made good bows. I think the problem with our locust is a local problem.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 09:29:45 am »
Hey pat...I got 3 different batches of seasoned black locust and I've made good bows from all of them n had no issues with them so I know the woods good...I'll let ya pick a couple or few out down at Tennessee and then we'll know if its a "local" thing or operator error  :P  ::)  :laugh:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 09:31:35 am »
I cut a "fresh" dead standing BL and it made 2 bows with a 3rd (hopefully) on its way. I would try it with caution.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.