Author Topic: handles, handles  (Read 5637 times)

woody

handles, handles
« on: August 04, 2008, 05:41:39 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Not sure is this is the right forum, but I was just thinking about handle designs on some upcoming bows of mine.  I wanted to do a center shot feature with a dished out handle, but I thought that might not be "primitive" enough…then I really got to thinking!  :)

Why wouldn't earlier archers (pre-modern era) have used a center shot/dished out handle? 

If these two features were all they had to do to improve their shots, then why didn't they use them?  They would not have suffered from want of artificial, man-made components because those items do not figure into the handle design…there is only wood removal to consider.

I know that it is more work with hand tools (especially stone) and that the design could be a potential weak point in the bow, but doesn't a center shot improve consistency from shot to shot since differences in spine are not as critical, and doesn't a dished out handle ensure consistent hand placement on the bow, also improving accuracy and consistency? 

The BIG question I have now is…when did the use of this sort of handle design become prevalent in archery and who started to figure it out?  Am I completely wrong, and it has been in use longer than I think?

Forgive me if these questions are ignorant, but I don't know much about shooting history.  Also, if you can, please show pics of your favorite handle design(s) when you post a reply.  I am not necessarily looking for a discussion on what does and does not constitute "primitive"… although, feel free to discuss if you think it will help answer the questions on the table.   

Thanks!

woody     

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: handles, handles
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 06:20:59 pm »
Good question woody. I'm going to move this to the bows section.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline sonny

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 06:31:45 pm »
It's only in the last 50 years or so (maybe slightly longer, but not much) that we've come to understand arrow spine and the efficacy of a center shot bow.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 06:46:05 pm »
Woody, I believe that center shot didn't begin until fiber glass was invented...at least not on purpose. It is difficult to make an all wood bow center shot. Dished handles probably came about the same time.
   Primitive man probably didn't use either of these styles because they didn't have to.  They could make meat and defend themselves with the simple bows and arrows they had. A bow is inherently accurate! It is the arrow and the archer that are the weak links. Modern man always tries to find a "better way" or an "easier way" to do things...no matter what it costs in money or time. I am trying to see how simple I can get my archery equipment and still be effective.  No matter which road you take a sharp, well placed arrow will kill a deer whether you shoot a stick and string or a center shot bow with a dished handle.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 07:19:11 pm »
If you are looking for better, center shot is not.  If you are looking for easier to spine your arrows it may be.  A little trial and error with different spine arrows will solve any issue in spine. I have made center shot dished handles and handles with no shelf or visible sign of an arrow pass and they all work about the same.  Justin 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 07:27:35 pm »
They didn't need them. Uses alot more time, materials, and energy to make them. I've shot winde handled D bows with unspined arrows and simply making the bow longer tightens my accuracy out to 50-60 yards. At 25 yards, I doubt that would be necessary ;).

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 08:55:14 pm »
I think a cut in arrow shelf is one thing but true center shot is another. I find it hard to believe some primitive culture, some where didn't think of simply notching out the wood in the handle area for a arrow shelf. I've see lots of old wooden bows with a cut in arrow shelf but not cut to center. That seemed to have shown up in the 60's or 70's I would think when fiberglass bows came about. I almost always make my bows with a arrow shelf of some sort be it cut in or something glued on extra. The only advantage I see to a arrow shelf cut near center is the bow will most likely shoot a much larger variety of spined arrows. Arrow spine makes a huge difference in accuracy, that being said. There's no reason why you cant make a non center type bow shoot just as accurately with the properly matched set of arrows......so the way I see it, its a crap shoot. I like to cut shelfs in on my ridged handled bows, but I cut them about a 1/8" off of center.  My bendy handled D bows I add double shelves out of leather. They are about 3/8 to 1/2" off center usualy. They still shoot good, they just require a lower spined arrow.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 06:51:47 am »
A cut out arrow pass is gotta be the most ugly thing in a bow
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

woody

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 06:10:50 pm »
I'd say I have to agree that primitive man didn't need the handle design...if they did and never figured it out, we wouldn't be here!  :) Perhaps I am inevitably looking at the situation from my own, modern perspective and what I think matters as a modern archer, albiet with "primitve" equipment.  I approached the question counterfactually...pre-modern man did not make center shot, dished-out handles because the alternative worked just as well.  I think I can live with that.  :) Thanks!     

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 06:46:37 pm »
Here's some handles:

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 09:09:38 pm »
  This is kinda like an Anthropogist and their silly guessing games. Sorry, not calling everybody silly, but if you look at the way Ishi held a bow it wouldn't need to be center shot. I imagine there was more than one style of shooting a bow depending on where someone lived. Take the Inuiits, shooting out of a kayak sitting down had to require a whole different style.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 12:30:07 pm »
I sometimes cut a small shelf or just glue a wedge of leather on it for a shelf,it really don't matter much as far as shooting I just like the arrow to set on it while I am hunting.I sometimes hang it up 
when I am in a tree,don't like to hold it all the time. I ant sure but I suspect we aren't the first to think of it.  :) Just cause they were primitive sure don't mean they were stupid.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good