Author Topic: Found some osage  (Read 3635 times)

Offline Scottski

Found some osage
« on: April 01, 2013, 10:37:56 pm »
Wish I knew who's owns these trees.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Found some osage
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 10:51:24 pm »
Very cool.  I found some wind breaks like these up in the Texas Panhandle.  The owner let us cut wood selectively.  Looks like a bunch of good wood!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Scottski

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 10:59:11 pm »
Think I will knock on the door of the first house I come too when I go back and look again.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 11:52:29 pm »
Wow nice row of Osage ! I doubt the owner would care unless they made bows to lol
I like osage

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 12:01:42 am »
You never know til you ask. The worst they could say is no. Offer to cut what you don't use into firewood for them(not the rest of the hedgerow  ;) ). Also, bring along a bow you made to show them what you want it for.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 12:43:15 am »
That looks like a vein of gold.   I wish I could find yew like that.  Like Pat said, take a bow with you when you go knocking on doors...it goes a long way. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Scottski

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 08:02:29 am »
I like the idea of taking a bow to show them. Thank you I will try that when I go back.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 08:38:06 am »
You better hurry up cus it might not all be there when you go back  ???...where did you say that row is again ::)  >:D  :laugh:

Offline osagejack

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 09:34:06 am »
people ask me how I get access to so much osage,,,its real simple,,,,, I ASK,,, ;D

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 09:50:45 am »
Thats what it looks like all around us here in southern lkansas. I have found that the north  south rows are the ones that hold the straightest trees. They don't have to fight the prevailing north south winds. East west wind rows are mostly good for nothing but firewood due to excessive twist and turns. Make sure  you read the bark. Its alot of work so make it count.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline osagejack

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 10:31:29 am »
I tell ya what  give me the gps  longatute and latitude  I will find out who owns them >:D

Offline Marks

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 10:41:13 am »
Go to your local courthouse or County website. The department that manages land Taxes (Revenue Commision where I live) can tell you who owns it or if they have a website you can look it up yourself. Its public record.  In fact, that is what I do for a living. I update tax maps for Colbert County, Alabama. I spend all day looking at property lines, updating maps and HELPING THE PUBLIC.  For Example, here is our website......  http://isv.kcsgis.com/al.colbert_revenue/

Stringman

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 11:20:09 am »
And if you do get permission and go back, take a lunch! That sage ain't gonna be easy to get down on the ground. It has a tendency to hang up afte being cut. It will help to have a pruning saw (power.)

Have fun and post pics!!

Scott

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 11:28:29 am »
If you know someone that does title searches for realtors, you can find out pretty fast with an address.

Offline Marks

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 05:07:16 pm »
If you know someone that does title searches for realtors, you can find out pretty fast with an address.

Title searchers get their info from my office. If your county has a website and you are capable of navigating using aerial photos or road maps you can do it yourself much easier than asking a friend to do it for you. If you need to go into the office for help make sure you can accurately describe the location of the property, and give a nearby intersection or address or other landowner. Nothing is more difficult than some clueless person coming in and wanting to know who owns something but they can't tell you where it is. We had someone tell us one time that the house had a red door. Haha. That don't help much when all we can see is the roof. I love helping the public. Its my favorite part of this job but I'm not a mind reader.