Author Topic: How the heck am i supposed to make a double flem?!  (Read 5596 times)

Offline twisted hickory

Re: How the heck am i supposed to make a double flem?!
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 11:42:29 pm »
Glad it works for you bitter. So are ya planning on hunting w your new bow?
Greg

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 11:46:15 pm »
That youtube video isn't very good at all. Sure you'll get a functioning string but he missed a lot of little things out that go to make a quality string.
what doesn't work with the string made like that? If I do my job my bow will hit a ten inch target at 40 yards shooting red osier shafts.
Seriously though, got a vid?
Thanks ,
Greg

Offline Woodbender

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 08:58:07 am »
That youtube video isn't very good at all. Sure you'll get a functioning string but he missed a lot of little things out that go to make a quality string.
what doesn't work with the string made like that? If I do my job my bow will hit a ten inch target at 40 yards shooting red osier shafts.
Seriously though, got a vid?
Thanks ,
Greg

The strength of the Flemish string is created by the friction between the two bundles. Cabled bundles have less physical contact between the bundles than a fully melded round string. A round string also more evenly shares the tension between the two bundles whereas most of the cables strings I've seen (or made) seem to have one bundle that holds more of the weight. That is, one bundle will appear "straight" while the other bundle "wraps" around it. This reduces the effective strength of the string. Also, as Roy pointed out,  a cabled string, once served creates a lumpy serving and could result in string movement when the arrow is knocked. Uniformity (roundness) is consistency. Consistency is good!!

Offline dbb

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 09:48:29 am »
I learned from the same vids as Slackbunny.
A very good series of vids that shows the same as Roys link but i find it easier to follow the video
here it is again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4x7W71_MQQ&list=PLXrddkruLyAhq7QQ7LPW0DQsKKt0T5gfi
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 11:37:05 am »
Glad it works for you bitter. So are ya planning on hunting w your new bow?
Greg
Possibly, but that means I gotta get off my lazy butt and get my hunting license and also find a friend of mine that bow hunts cus no one in my family does
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

Offline Roy

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 12:32:20 pm »
Those were great videos. Thanks..

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 11:34:41 pm »
If ya live in Pennsylvania turkey season starts April 27th I think. And if you live near the great lakes specifically Lake Erie in June blue catfish start coming in to the tributarys to spawn and they get huge. A friend of mine caught two last summer and between the two he had 8 lbs of meat and it is tasty.
Greg

Offline Roy

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 11:54:50 pm »
There are several ways to do many things or anything. Bad ways, Good ways, and the Best way. With Flemish Strings, the best way doesn't take any longer than the bad way. So why not build the best string you possibly can? Until I am shown a better way to build a Flemish String, I will build them like the link and videos show. I only mean to try and help folks not make the same mistakes I made early on in my string making adventures.