Author Topic: Repairs?  (Read 1452 times)

Offline ncpat

Repairs?
« on: November 23, 2012, 07:54:06 pm »
Saw a nice Shakespear recurve on Craigslist for $40. Sadly, has a split tip. Photo shows layers separating. See Raleigh/Durham NC page of Craigslist for a photo.

This is a 58 inch bow. Looks like I could cut of 2 inches from each end, file new notches and have a 56 inch longbow out of it. Has anyone ever tried this?

Correction:  2 inches from each end to make a 54 inch longbow, not 56.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 08:04:00 pm by ncpat »
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.

Offline steve b.

Re: Repairs?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 03:38:12 am »
That wouldn't appeal to me but its probably doable.  Give it a try and post pics of what you did.  Talk him down first.....

Offline ncpat

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 06:26:55 am »
I e mailed and offered him $15 instead of the 35 he was asking. Was going to follow up with a call, but the ad and phone # expired 2 days later. Dumb me, should have written the info down.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 06:40:50 am »
That's risky business... that being said I shot two Shakespeare's really enjoy them... I have a feeling this will get moved around the campfire... TG might be a better spot mmmm for answers on that ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 08:42:14 am »
Rule #3

Topics and posts should be related to primitive archery in some way. If you want to discuss other topics in life there are plenty of other places on the internet you can go. This place is about primitive archery. Discussions on the use of post-industrial materials (yes that means FG) is not allowed here.

Not trying to run you off Pat, just the opposite actually. You dont want one the mods comin' down ya'! Except for the PC's, smart phones and tablets.......we are hard core primitive folks! :)

Welcome to PA.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ncpat

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 07:49:41 pm »
No problem, I should have thought of that. I love archery but must confess I don't have a primitive bow. However, I am interested in making arrows from scratch with both dowels and tree limbs, as you may have seen my posts under Arrows. I will eventually try making a wooden bow when I have some free time and nothing else to do. 

I am traditional. I do not care for compounds. I like recurves or longbows. That puts me more toward primitive than I many otherwise be, right? :D

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 12:19:07 am »
This thread is OK here on "...Campfire".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 12:35:02 pm »
With a split like that you could have shot some super glue between the layers and clamped it till it was cured. Then sanded it smooth. I've seen some recurves cut down like that but it seems to really put a lot of stress on the back, working part of the limb.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ncpat

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 09:44:20 pm »
The really sad thing is, I looked back on Craigs List to get seller's phone # and the ad had been cleared. Could not even find in my archives. When opportunity knocks, I'm busy taking out the garbage. LOL.
 :'(