Author Topic: Transatlantic Yew ELB  (Read 4193 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Transatlantic Yew ELB
« on: March 31, 2013, 12:58:33 pm »
The Transatlantic Bow AKA 'Special Relationship'
The Oregon Yew billets kindly sent to me by a guy named Joe unfortunately had bug damaged sapwood. One pair became a bamboo backed ELB.
This bigger pair were destined for greater things :), when, in November I'd got a big log of English Yew which had thick sapwood on one side, and an idea was born.

I ran the English Yew sapwood through the bandsaw taking off a continuous strip of sapwood, which being so thin was seasoned pretty quickly.
The plan was to glue this up as a continuous backing onto the spliced  Oregon Yew billet belly.
I left the bark on the sapwood backing and shaved and rasped the sawn face of it to a flat even profile for gluing, it actually had a nasty twist at one end which needed steaming out. Some heat bending was needed on the glued up billets too as there wasn't any spare wood to play with.
I glued it up with about an inch or so of reflex.
My masterstroke was to take off the bark with a spokeshave, leaving a pinkish layer of cambium on which I could mark out the bow.
The cambium would pop off with a 'tick' as the bow was flexed on the tiller right?
Oh, no it was thicker than I thought and came off with a crack like a rifle shot which frightened the crap out of me and for a moment I thought a whole layer of sapwood had come off.
As tillering progressed the rest of it loosened or popped off leaving a pristine perfect single ring back.
In the video on my blog here...
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/big-bow-braced.html
You can see and hear a little bit come off with a 'tick'
 Being a continuous back also had the advantage of making the bow substantially stronger at the join.
The bow was destined for a guy at the club who was relatively new to archery but was outgrowing bows at an alarming pace. The aim was about 70# at 28” but tillered out to a full 32”. Obviously that’s not the best way to try and build a bow, but the limiting factor was the wood which would dictate the maximum poundage I could get.
Originally he’d wanted a leather grip and arrow plate, but the plan evolved to leave a simple bare wood bow with a Bowyer’s Mark, which is a play my initials DH.
The final shot shows a the happy recipient with a 32" shafted arrow at full draw.
Stats ~75" ntn about 65-70# @28"... anyone's guess at 32"... Im not winching that baby back slow enough to measure it :laugh:
The tiller of the bow is arguably a tad on the whip tillered/over elliptical compared to my usual arc of a circle, but I left some extra thickness at the splice for security.
Del
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 01:02:46 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Transatlantic Yew ELB
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 01:16:54 pm »
Del, that is pretty cool.  Very creative and ambitious plan you madman  ;)  Looks like you pulled it off quite nicely.  The pristine back looks amazing. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 01:37:39 pm »
Del, that is pretty cool.  Very creative and ambitious plan you madman  ;)  Looks like you pulled it off quite nicely.  The pristine back looks amazing.
Cheers.
You mean the cat or the bow? ::) ;D
Del

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 01:53:12 pm »
I was thinking about this the other day! Taking the sapwood off a heartwood rotten piece and laming it on some_____ (secret wood) and now I know it works! Thanks del!

KUDOS on another Very nice bow, love it.

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 03:20:27 pm »
Definitely a cool project del.although the cat doesn't seem as interested as the rest of us.
Nice work.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 03:29:31 pm »
Nice bow can't even tell that you glued the two together.
Rob

Offline coaster500

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 04:43:52 pm »
Very nicely done Del but don't beat the cat with it  :laugh:

Looks great!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 05:04:45 pm »
These pics show how the cambium layer came away. It broke on the line of pin knots which you can see in the cat picture.
You can see it's pretty thick... I expect you can imagine the bang when it went!
Del
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 05:10:02 pm by Del the cat »

Offline CaptainBeaky

• Maker of stuff
    • Westmead Artificing
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 06:28:35 pm »
Yup - that must have been a mite disconcerting when it popped :D

Very nice, as always, Del!
The law hangs the man and flogs the woman
That steals the goose from off the common
But lets the greater villain loose
That steals the common from under the goose.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 08:48:40 pm »
Great thinking with that idea Del and well executed too. I love the way the back turned out and the bow as a whole is very nice.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 12:54:50 am »
I'm starting to think del could make a long bow from toothpicks so long as they had plenty of bug damage.
I like free stuff.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 01:30:34 am »
wonderful in all respects you're a true craftsman Del

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 09:24:53 am »
Nice job, Catman!! ;)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Eastman

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 09:36:07 am »
Beautiful bow!!
''The joy is great of him who strays, in shady woods on summer days, With eyes alert and muscles steady , His long-bow strung, his arrows ready''  -Maurice Thompson

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 10:05:58 am »
Beautiful bow, Del. The popping of the cambium would have been a bit much for me. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!