Author Topic: mollegabet dimensions question  (Read 12287 times)

blackhawk

Re: mollegabet dimensions question
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 03:05:27 pm »
FYI...another same design bow as the mollegabet has been found and is pretty much a whole bow...Lemme do some looking and I'll find you a link

*edit* here it is...clink on the link in the thread to see it.   http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=36831.0

Precise tillering is required of any style bow you make...its what makes a bow a bow and goes hand in hand with proper design....and its more than just the final outcome of the bend...it involves the how you get to that final tiller,and that's more important

I'll ask again... what intended stats are you wanting? Draw weight and draw length please? Much like engineering you need to know how much stress something is going to have to properly design it

And with your experience I still recommend a 30-40% of your limb a lever and no more..especially with an oak board
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:12:24 pm by blackhawk »

Offline webrx

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 09:57:26 pm »
Blackhawk,

Thanks for the link, that is one I had not seen yet.  Way cool that they found an almost complete, and it pretty much validates the "expert guess" on what the original may have looked like.

My goal would be 45-55# at 27", and based on Red Oak being the only readily available wood to me, I felt this would be reasonable to expect from this wood and a mollegabet bow.  Please let me know if I am incorrect.  One thing I really have not researched much, and don't know hardly anything about is the stress capabilities of different types of wood.   I am still trying to learn about this, and promise to do some more research, but as I said, since red oak (well and poplar - which I don't think is much good for more than a kids bow from what I have read), is what is available, that is what I am playing with.

If I am to move forward (if you think red oak is capable), I had fully intended to do a 70/30 - more like a 2 to 1 actually, I was thinking 20" of working limb, 10 inch of lever (8" with 2" fades) on each side with an 4 inch handle and 2 inch fades.  66" T2T, 64 N2N.

Again, thanks everyone for the input, education, and discussion, I do understand the importance of tillering, and also know that I am new to this and must go slow to make it happen in a manner that does not damage the wood or cause excess set.

Duck - again, very nicely done, I "hope" I can tiller one close to that level.  I will keep a copy of your pic handy so I can see what it is supposed to look like.

Dave

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 01:20:05 pm by webrx »
Experience - that thing you get just moments after you needed it.

Offline webrx

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 01:24:29 pm »
just checking in to see if the experts think I can do a mollegabet from red oak with decent grain.

My goal would be 45-55# at 27", planning on at least 16" working area and 8 inch levers with an 8 inch handle, but could go 20" working with 10" levers and an 8" handle area. 

The wood I have is 3/4 thick, 72" long, and ~2.5 inch wide.  I say approx on the width because I cut it with my table saw and it may be just under 2.5, but just barely.

Thanks

blackhawk

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 03:06:06 pm »
68" ntn....2 1/4-2 3/8 wide parralell limbs...35%-40% of your limb length devoted to being a lever...3/4" to under 3/8" tapered levers...use quarter sawn tip overlays.... these are starting dimensions to get you in the ballpark n pending on density of wood you might be able to narrow it down to 2 1/8" or so....

Offline webrx

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 01:14:49 am »
Thanks Blackhawk.

d