Author Topic: Linen for bowstrings. Where to buy?  (Read 3196 times)

Offline Chris grimbowyer

Linen for bowstrings. Where to buy?
« on: March 29, 2013, 12:11:48 pm »
I want to grow my own this summer, but to hold me over until fall I would like to purchase some linen! I did some searching and found that the old Irish factory didn't make the linen most bowyers were getting good results from. I found this   http://pyrosupplies.com/shop/page/category/Category/647698bcca6b92aff582ef0260d5adfd.html

Should I order the 6 strand, or the 8 strand? The 8 strand is more expensive, but it says it has a 70lb breaking strength compared to the 6's 38lb. My only worry is the 6 strand says (natural) in color and the 8 says (white). Is it bleached??

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Linen for bowstrings. Where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 12:38:02 pm »
Bottom line is, it doesn't matter about the strand count, as you'll need to bundle up muliple threads anyway to get the correct breaking strain!
Go for the natural, it will look better.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Chris grimbowyer

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 01:20:12 pm »
I was thinking about going for that one because of the price difference. I will be making a regular flemish twist style string. thank you

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 01:29:32 pm »
I purchased some of that 8 strand from pyrosupplies and I wasn't very happy with it.  It appears bleached.  It could just be me, but I kept breaking strings at the nocking point.  I gave up on that spool after the third string, which was really overbuilt, broke at the nocking point.  Again, it could just be something I was not doing correctly.  Also, I found the breaking strength of that particular product to be less than advertised. Steve Gardner (badger) reported similar test results.  I don't have the numbers handy but it was more like 40-50 lbs breaking strength.  I am going to try to grow a crop this summer too.  looks easy to grow, but taking plant to bow string fiber sounds like a bit of an art.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Chris grimbowyer

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 02:12:14 pm »
Certainly. I am going to try the (Natural) spool. Maybe after the first bundles we can end up with some mediocre bow strings. Self experience seems to be the greatest teacher.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 09:55:09 pm »
At one time the pyro linen wasn't too bad but the last few years it hasn't been worthwhile buying, neither the natural nor the waxed.  I took a chance last year on some linen that was being auctioned off on the e site.  It was the best "chance" I ever took.  The linen is of exceptional quality with break strength nearly equal to that of dacron of the same diameter.  I was also fortunate enough to find even more of the same linen and now have enough to last me for a little while.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Bowman

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 06:46:27 pm »
Look for Barbour linen. Quality linen from Ireland. :-)
"for veik var kongens bue......."