Author Topic: Large Sugar Maple  (Read 1555 times)

Offline DLH

Large Sugar Maple
« on: April 01, 2013, 02:41:38 pm »
This sugar maple is about to be cut in our yard pretty soon. Think there are very many in bows in it? Could I dry this outside as long as its out of the weather off the ground. I'm thinking the bugs would eat it up? I am going to wait until the saps up so  the bark will slip off.

blackhawk

Re: Large Sugar Maple
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 03:13:52 pm »
Cut it...split it first at that seam in the buttress...then split the halves into staves WITHOUT HITTING THE BARK AND DINGING THE SAPWOOD BACK UP!!!!...lol....it ain't osage and you can't swing with reckless abandon ;)....then peal the bark and seal the back n ends with shellac.....then send me a stave and I'll let ya know if its any good or not ;) .... :laugh:

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 03:31:25 pm »
Definetly some bows hiding in there but you should dry it inside your house
I like osage

Offline DLH

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 06:15:42 pm »
Haha yeah I was gonna be ginger with this compared to the Osage at Dave's. I'll bring you a stave at the classic if ya want Chris do you accept straight staves? I'll bring it inside for sure then. Thanks guys.

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 07:09:51 pm »
Can you take a close up of the bark? I am looking for one and your pic may help.
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 08:31:45 pm »
Yes..but keep your staves....plenty of sugar maple around me..and yes do store indoors..