Author Topic: 2 new matched sets  (Read 3422 times)

Offline RBLusthaus

2 new matched sets
« on: March 24, 2013, 01:34:26 am »
The first set is 11/32, 40-45#, 31 inch poplar, 125 gr field point, 485 +-15 gr overall, black dye crown, and 4 1/2 shield cut, left wing feathers.

The second set is 11/32, 35-40#, 30 inch poplar, 100 gr field point, 435 +-15 gr overall, 4 1/2 shield cut, left wing feathers, with walnut 4 wing arrow head footings.

Offline Stefan

Re: 2 new matched sets
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 05:19:31 am »
very nice! did you buy or make a jig  for footing the arrows?cresting looks good too!
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 06:04:16 am »
Please do a tutorialon how to get those perfect splices you do for the footings...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 07:52:48 am »

Wow!  :o Those are nice! 8)  Oh indeed, and tutorial on splicing in footings!

Wayne

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 10:06:46 am »
Those are nice I would like to see how you do the splice for the footings also.
Rob

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 12:57:17 pm »
yeah, really nice work!
the first set really grabs at me the most...very fine cresting work!
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 05:03:25 pm »
Great looking arrows, especially the footed shafts. Does the forward fletching in the first batch add benefit? Thanks

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 01:17:31 pm »
Thank you for the kind words.

Stefan, I made the jig I used.  Found a build post on trad gang, I think.  If you need a pic, let me know.  It is similar to the 3rivers jig, but made from wood.  It works pretty well, once it is dialed in to the fence settings.  I use it with a router bit in the drill press.  BTW, not sure if you remember, but you gave me a tip when I first joined PA, about using making tape in front of the wing points to keep from sanding too deep - - anyhow, thank you as it has worked like a charm for me.   

I have never been asked to do a build along before - very flattering.  I will try to put something together soon.  These are very time consuming. 

Tracy - - the forward fletching is for a customer with these big fat stumpy looking meaty things on the end of his hand some people call fingers (not me).  The extra space is protect the feathers from the "bull in a china shop"  who will be shooting them. 

Russ

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 05:02:43 pm »
I see, makes sense. Again, nice work!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 08:54:06 am »
Beautiful arrows,love both sets. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stefan

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 11:40:56 am »
Thank you for the kind words.

Stefan, I made the jig I used.  Found a build post on trad gang, I think.  If you need a pic, let me know.  It is similar to the 3rivers jig, but made from wood.  It works pretty well, once it is dialed in to the fence settings.  I use it with a router bit in the drill press.  BTW, not sure if you remember, but you gave me a tip when I first joined PA, about using making tape in front of the wing points to keep from sanding too deep - - anyhow, thank you as it has worked like a charm for me.   

I have never been asked to do a build along before - very flattering.  I will try to put something together soon.  These are very time consuming. 

Tracy - - the forward fletching is for a customer with these big fat stumpy looking meaty things on the end of his hand some people call fingers (not me).  The extra space is protect the feathers from the "bull in a china shop"  who will be shooting them. 

Russ

Hi Russ,

I do remember! Pleased to hear that I helped you out, that is what this site is about. I love your arrows the came out nice. Maybe you could post a picture of your jig...I posted my jig a while back too, maybe it will help people visualize on how to get started when making footed arrows.

Greeting,

Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 10:25:44 am »
Nice shafts.Appreciate your work and sharing.Perfect sunday go to shooting arrows.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 12:44:01 am »
Here are some pics of the homemade footing jig.  All views.  Just 2 pieces of wood bolted together, with the tricky groove down the middle.  The jig holds the arrow shaft with the leading edge higher than the trailing edge(4.5 inches) so that the bit cuts almost to the center at the forward most part of the shaft and tapers off to cutting air about 4 inchs in.   

Hard to explain in words.  Easier with pics, I think.  I will put some "action" shots together in the near future.