Author Topic: Trying a Kids Selfbow  (Read 2062 times)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

Trying a Kids Selfbow
« on: March 28, 2013, 04:25:18 pm »
Hey PA-
     I wanted to try again with another selfbow. I wanted to start this thread on here to get your guys help. I haven't been able to get the selfbow mastered yet or even to stay as a bow. Today I pulled out a 52 inch osage stave which has been in my pile for about four years. I figured I would try this stave before starting one of my better ones. I wanted to have this bow a little over built so I made it 1 1/4 inch at the fades all the way out to about 3/4 of the limb, then to a straight taper of 1/2 inch tips. It felt good pulling out the draw knife today.

Anyways here is some pictures of where I am at....

Now I have some straightening to do... Should I use dry heat to straighten this out or steam straighten it for the first time?

Offline tanner

Re: Trying a Kids Selfbow
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 05:03:05 pm »
I actually don't have any answers for you, but I'm interested to watch for whomever chimes in. I'm doing the exact same thing right now - it's actually my very first osage bow. I just landed my first osage staves this month and in my post-splitting process I ended up with a 36-40'' piece that I roughed out for a bow for my 4-yr old. The bending thing is my next step because the wood was (according to my cheap moisture meter) about 21% when I roughed it out and dropped to 16.5 in a couple of days. What started out straight is now twisted kinda funky. I have read about both dry and steam heat for osage, but was considering steam for my first real bending try. I've read some opinions that it's a little harder to screw up so long as you use a metal covering on the limbs while you're bending them (splinter prevention).

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 05:21:37 pm »
Dry heat Justin
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 05:28:34 pm »
Thanks Chris I was thinkin dry but thought you would strata me in the right direction. I want to try the elm recurve next so I thought I would give this lil bow a try first since my last did not make it.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 05:28:55 pm »
My opinion, dry heat (which I prefer with dry Bodark).  Looks like you need to move the tips about 4 inches????  I would try and get a lot of that out of the center (handle).  Hard to say looking at a picture, but that's my take. 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 06:05:08 pm »
Dry heat the handle.  You won't need much correction in the handle to really move the tips!  Good luck and keep posting pics of this little cutie!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 08:48:08 pm »
Dry heat on the 4-year osage.  What works for me is parallel to mid-limb then straight taper to 1/2" at the tips.  Kids bows can be harder to make than full length adult bows.  Just a word of caution.  Stiff spots are tougher to see.  Also, belly wood removal to make tiller corrections will be less than with a reasonable poundage adult bow.  Good luck on your venture and be sure post pics as you go.  Can't wait to see your progress!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI