Author Topic: String wax?  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

String wax?
« on: March 27, 2013, 02:26:27 pm »
Hi,

I have procured some bees wax from a local bee keeper.  Do I need to add anything to it to make it into string wax or is it good to go?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: String wax?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 02:31:17 pm »
Good to go. I dotn even clean mine. It has wings, stingers and antennas in it! I just run warm water over it so I can shape it. Nothing compares to bees wax on strings.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 02:37:39 pm »
Personally, I like a little more stick in my string wax than beeswax alone provides.  I melt it down and add 1 part doug-fir pitch per 8 parts wax.  a little more stick in your string wax means a lot less cramp in your hands when you are twisting up lots of strings. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 03:03:00 pm »
I use it plain.  Mmmmm beeswax smells good when you rub it in a string.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 03:24:46 pm »
Carson my straight from the hive wax is super sticky already, I have to wash my hands afterwards or I leave sticky marks on whatever Im working on. Are getting yours "refined" or raw from the hive?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 04:10:56 pm »
I use refined wax Pearl.  I bet that straight from the hive stuff is a whole nother beast.  I have been wanting to try some of that.  I actually asked JW if he had some of that good stuff with the pieces of wings and legs in it awhile back, but he was out at the time. 
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 04:48:07 pm »
Give me some time and I can score you a chunk of the real deal. You wont need to add anything to it. Its the berrys for string making, zero strand seperation happens.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 07:01:51 pm »
Sounds good Pearl.  I am looking forward to playing around with some of that stuff. 

Offline vyadha

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 07:53:31 pm »
I just buy the beeswax toilet rings at the hardware store. quite a bit for $1.29. Just as everyone said, great on strings.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 08:01:36 pm »
I just buy the beeswax toilet rings at the hardware store. quite a bit for $1.29. Just as everyone said, great on strings.
Probably has additives to the wax:(
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 10:48:57 pm »
Probably has additives to the wax:(
   Not the used ones , Squirrely! ;)

Offline seabass

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 11:05:03 pm »
straight bees wax is the stuff.don't need to add anything.like Clint said,it smells great.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Roy

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 12:51:17 am »
So Pearly are you gonna hook up the ole Man too? Please:)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 01:00:36 am »
One pound of beeswax mixed(melted) with one toilet bowl ring= perfect string wax and a lifetime supply at that.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 07:39:14 am »
Handy for waxing linen thread when sewing leather-work too :)