Author Topic: Is there a crepe myrtle build along?  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Marks

Is there a crepe myrtle build along?
« on: March 26, 2013, 11:42:45 am »
I was looking for a reason to thin my crepe myrtle so I could get a stave or 2 out of it. Turns out it was starting to grow into the power line. Can't have that  >:D. I haven't even split it yet but I was searching around a little on the site and heard suggestions of roughing out crepe myrtle while it is still green. I don't know anything about how to treat this wood. Does anyone know of a crepe myrtle build along? I doubt there is one. I've seen several people ask about the wood and others post finished bows on here. If there isnt one what wood could I more closely compare it too so I can follow a build along or at least get some better advice. I'm new and have only worked osage. Looking to branch out while the rest of my osage seasons a little more. 

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Is there a crepe myrtle build along?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 12:35:00 pm »
I have limited experience with it.  What I did is just treat it like any white wood.  I cut it down, split it, and sealed the ends.  A few months later I started working on it.  The only think I'm curious about is how to get the bark off.  I left mine on.  Try peeling it off.  I cut mine in December so that may be the reason I couldn't peel the bark off.  Best thing to do is start with your worst stave and learn from it. 
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 03:15:51 pm »
go thru ken75 Post's he made several crepe myrtle bows and you should get some ideas there, reduce the stave down to where it just bends a touch and clamp it to a board this will speed up the drying process
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Marks

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 11:28:48 am »
Split my crepe last night. Not sure if this is typical but the wood is ribbed like a Wavy Lays tater chip. One half has a lot of built in reflex and the other of course is deflexed a good bit so I'm practicing getting the bark off the deflexed one because it sure ain't peeling off easy. I'm scraping with my draw knife and making good progress. I noticed all the ripples as I was scraping and thought my knife was just bouncing but its like that inside the split too