Author Topic: Funny bow story  (Read 3208 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Funny bow story
« on: March 26, 2013, 10:20:09 pm »
I made a short, very good shooting black locust bow.
made from green wood. Used 2 tools- a stone axe and a nice, good piece of volcanic lava puff stone for a rasp.
I cut a walking stick about a week ago. It took a very, very high reflex- almost 6 inches, all in one limb...
So I decided to make a bow from it today. I split it, and then tillered it. I started hearing a quiet crack as I full-drew it, but I thought, Heck, the thing was 58 inches long, I  am using a 26 inch draw. Working handle. I though why not?
So I made the bow. It looked decent. I scraped bark off, then strung and shot. It shot FAST. FAST!
I mean, flat. flat for 20 yards easy. It drew about 40 pounds.... So I shot about 50 arrows off of this thing. I was like THIS IS AWESOME! I AM NOT WORKING WITH STAVES FROM NOW ON!!!!
I then proceeded to start trying to hit my wooden target. I got like 5 out of 7 hits, pretty good at 25 yards. This thing was shooting GREAT. Keep in mind that this is all sapwood except for a small 1 inch wide section of the belly, very high crowned, and took me 12 mins to make.
I did everything with the axe except tillering. It was a good axe... ground slate.
Then around 100 shots I started hearing cracks. I thought it was the sapwood of the BL cause this thing had a HUGE crown.
I mean 1 inch crown. THis thing is really thin too. Like narrow thin. Like 1 inch wide, except handle which was 1 1/2 inch wide.
I thought... Crud. Crud. Crud. Then about 2 mins later, I heard a medium loud crack.
THen i drew the arrow the last inch, BOOOMMMM!!!!! One limb flew straight up and I think the bow broke my wrist with handshock!
I just dropped the arrow, and Laughed.
It was Hilarious!
It was so fun to do, I was just laughing that the bow failed. I was not dissapointed.
IT was so fun!
-Squirrel
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Josh B

Re: Funny bow story
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 10:30:01 pm »
Pictures or it didn't happen.   Josh

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 10:30:41 pm »
Pictures or it didn't happen.   Josh
Will do tommorow, I left it outside.
Well, i can get pics of the bow.. or whats left of it.
It looks like crud.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 11:42:07 pm »
Yeah, I'd like to see your stone ax that you used.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline dmc

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 02:05:55 am »
I made a short, very good shooting black locust bow.
made from green wood. Used 2 tools- a stone axe and a nice, good piece of volcanic lava puff stone for a rasp.
I cut a walking stick about a week ago. It took a very, very high reflex- almost 6 inches, all in one limb...
So I decided to make a bow from it today. I split it, and then tillered it. I started hearing a quiet crack as I full-drew it, but I thought, Heck, the thing was 58 inches long, I  am using a 26 inch draw. Working handle. I though why not?
So I made the bow. It looked decent. I scraped bark off, then strung and shot. It shot FAST. FAST!
I mean, flat. flat for 20 yards easy. It drew about 40 pounds.... So I shot about 50 arrows off of this thing. I was like THIS IS AWESOME! I AM NOT WORKING WITH STAVES FROM NOW ON!!!!
I then proceeded to start trying to hit my wooden target. I got like 5 out of 7 hits, pretty good at 25 yards. This thing was shooting GREAT. Keep in mind that this is all sapwood except for a small 1 inch wide section of the belly, very high crowned, and took me 12 mins to make.
I did everything with the axe except tillering. It was a good axe... ground slate.
Then around 100 shots I started hearing cracks. I thought it was the sapwood of the BL cause this thing had a HUGE crown.
I mean 1 inch crown. THis thing is really thin too. Like narrow thin. Like 1 inch wide, except handle which was 1 1/2 inch wide.
I thought... Crud. Crud. Crud. Then about 2 mins later, I heard a medium loud crack.
THen i drew the arrow the last inch, BOOOMMMM!!!!! One limb flew straight up and I think the bow broke my wrist with handshock!
I just dropped the arrow, and Laughed.
It was Hilarious!
It was so fun to do, I was just laughing that the bow failed. I was not dissapointed.
IT was so fun!
-Squirrel

Are you kidding me?!? I broke a bow once while drawing back in a tree stand. Sorry squirrel, but in NO way did I find it hilarious, fun or remotely amusing. I was just thankful I didn't cut my face or possibly worse. I certainly had more respect for the wood than your story. If your purpose in your story was to see if you could push anyone's buttons.......... well done. You sucked me right in.
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!

Offline Lemos

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 02:40:21 am »
I broke a Fg bow once that I paid 750 for, I cussed and cried and cussed somemore then wiped of the blood and called in on the warranty and got it replaced. I was not happy with that one.  I also snapped a hazlenut self bow that I was working on retillering after trading some Osage for it, that one blew into five beautiful pieces and I couldn't help but laugh at it, one because I knew I was pushing it and two because it was at the Sisters gathering and there was to many witness's to cry and to many kids to cuss.

Offline Lemos

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 02:45:39 am »
On a side note dmc., I don't think thesquirrelslinger was try to push buttons I don't even see how it could be perceived that way I took it as one persons story and reaction to a bow failure. Just my opinion

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 04:28:35 am »
I am with lemos on this, I dont question his story, nor do I find it offensive. I do think it shows a lack of knowledge on his part about the power in these things when they bow. A breaking bow is VERY dangerous. I have dents in my ceiling from limbs letting go. Some pieces I havent ever found outside. They go far and fast. A breaking bow has the potential to KILL you. One limb with a sharp splinter coming at you can easily drive into your eye socket, neck, or chest. Its ok to laugh if it breaks, I dont care what you do, but listen, whatever you do, be safe! Safety glasses, long sleeves, I wear a leather jacket often on new bows, it really isnt a joke.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 08:48:08 am »
Don't usually laugh,just thank the Lord no one was hurt , cut it up and cook brats with it then move on. :) If I hear that dreaded click I usually stop,look at it very very close and draw it the next time on a tillering tree standing way back. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 10:48:24 am »
I perceive the sound as a slight "tink", the most dreaded sound in the world of bow making, I have heard it all too many times.

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 08:05:50 pm »
Dude, it was a cruddy, light, not-going-to hurt anyone break. Light bow...
I was laughing cause I was happy I made the bow and it worked well until it broke.
It was sort of amusing.
Well...
Here is my stone axe(when I made it several months ago)
EDIT-
I just realized that gigantic images show as thumbnails :( CLick them to see fullsize!

This was when I made it-http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1253389006/105
Now... I will get pics...

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 08:30:42 pm »
HOLY CARP! Thats one heck of an AX! Now there is something I would do some trading with you for!

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 08:51:29 pm »
HOLY CARP! Thats one heck of an AX! Now there is something I would do some trading with you for!
Hm.... Maybe....
they have to be sharpened like a steel axe.  Plus I make them mainly for looks, but sure, I will trade.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 10:05:37 pm »
I saw a bow in your pics that looked like a shooter. Be safe and have fun ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 04:14:43 am »
I use a file and sandpaper on a block to sharpen my ax, how do you do that one? How did you make it even?

I will make you a good bow making knife ( and I promise, I know all about bow making with a knife start to finish from cutting the tree down to final finish with just a knife. Done at least 5 that way, and one this Christmas for JWhalverson. )
I do a combo of forge and stock removal. Here is a knife I made for a guy a few years back. This is a hunter, not a bow makin knife by the way.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 04:25:06 am by sleek »