Author Topic: the central kentucky gathering(moontree shoot)  (Read 9851 times)

blackhawk

the central kentucky gathering(moontree shoot)
« on: March 24, 2013, 09:35:20 pm »
thought id copy and paste this over here for everyone else to see and enjoy  :D

first tree we cut and the kind of rings every bowyer likes to see when felling osage  >:D

dave sizing up the third tree we cut

dave throwing some gold dust notching it  ;D

mmmmmm....yummy....more tasty ring ratio  ;)

this third one kicked our butts....it got caught up standing straight...daves saw got pinched....we finally got the tree off the stump n daves saw out but it still wouldn't fall....so we used a come along at the base of the trunk to help it along....but still it didn't wanna go down all the way as you can see here in the pic....we eventually lopped off the tree next to it it was hung up on and then had to start cutting the tops off for it to go all the way down to the ground....and then the damn thing did not want to be split bouncing wedges left n right...I finally stepped in and showed it whos boss  >:D

when we got back up to the house with our cuttings daves buddy brian shows up with some osage he had cut to bring us...and here is brian assisting clints sick rear end with ozzy looking on

just look at all that gold  ;D ...brians whacking the stringers out to pull her apart...just look at that primo clean straight hedge  ;D and who ever said non bowyers don't know how to pick n cut good trees is full of crap...lol  :laugh: ...thanks brian(if ya get to see this) ;)

my lot of the gold  ;)  with the beautiful bluegrass country in the background  8)

clint stroking the tip of his wood  :P  >:D  :laugh:

dan twisting on his nipple..  ;)  ;D

dan chasing a ring on his nipple locust stave,and ozzy reducing belly meat

tracy and dan knapping away with bill steve and tracys wife looking on

ace joe working on his locust sliver stave  ;)

steve telling a good story to clint and greg and ozzy working on there staves  :laugh:

greg making a correction on his osage

clint putting skins on a bow

bills dutch oven apple cobbler was a big hit  ;)  ;D  thanks bill ...sure was tasty to this dutch boy  ;)

dave working on a hhb stave I gave him last year at the classic  ;) n clint chasing his dead standing osage stave....good luck pal  ;)

greg putting some finishing touches on his tips

heres what my van looked like before I left  :)

and heres what it looked like coming home  >:D  how did I get so lucky and make out like a bandit  ::)

on me way home passing my favorite exit in the whole world...hmmm....wonder why?  ::)

what a blast and that just skimmed the surface....for some reason I didn't get any pics of us shooting...I swear we did  ;)

Offline TRACY

Re: the central kentucky gathering(moontree shoot)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 09:49:13 pm »
Looks like the Shaggin Wagon had some good ERC logs as well. Pleasure meeting you Chris and hope to get some bow time with you at the Classic. It was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to the Moontree Farm Rendevous next year.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline chertle

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 09:56:04 pm »
Great time and awesome pics! Thanks for sharing! It was a lot of fun watching ya'll build some bows!
Leslie
Indiana

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 10:46:15 pm »
Thanks for the pic's Chris,
Bill
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 11:15:01 pm »
 :'(  Man you guys are making us West Coasters cry in our Beer...  NOT FAIR     :'( :'(
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 11:29:48 pm »
Man, this weekend was just tooooo much fun.  That LOAD OF GOLD wore us out.  Good thing the youngest of the bunch, DLH, took charge of the splitting maul or us old guys might still be out there pounding a wedge.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 11:33:29 pm »
Looks like the Shaggin Wagon had some good ERC logs as well. Pleasure meeting you Chris and hope to get some bow time with you at the Classic. It was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to the Moontree Farm Rendevous next year.

Tracy

Tracy, I think you just named the event, Moon Tree Rendevous.  I like that.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 11:42:18 pm »
I must have been doing something wrong.  Here is my stash of wood I brought home.  Unlike Blackhawk, I got a little better mileage on the way home than I did on the way down  ;)     Hey Blackhawk, I didn't see any Vine Maple in your pile of bow wood  >:D

Here is another picture of what I was working on.  Its like that pretty girl in school, you know she's going to break your heart but you have to try anyway.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 11:48:29 pm »
Outlaw, you may have to sneak back down to fill up your truck.  But, we'll have to get DLH up here, too.  He's a log splitting machine.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 11:54:10 pm »
I got plenty Dave.  Thanks again for letting me and Hawky stay in the honeymoon cabin.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 08:52:29 am »
Here's a few pics I got of the action.  .  .

People came from miles around to hear Clint talk about chasing rings on nasty staves (even Dave's dog was amazed at his skill)!

A couple of shots of Blackhawk when he was in one of his frenzies

Here's Dave giving an advanced level course on the Eastern two fletch

And finally, an example of some of the fine shooting that took place (one of the few I hit).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:01:29 am by Gsulfridge »
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 10:19:06 am »
Great pics guys...............and chickenhawk. Those mini gathering are the best, I love 'em. Nice of you to allow all those wa-hoo's in your home for a weekend Dave.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 10:45:38 am »
Pearly, they may a bunch of wa-hoos, but they are some of the best wa-hoos a person could meet.  The knowledge, tips and techniques one can learn from these some gatherings is amazing; even from the newbies who have very few bows under their belts can bring alot to the table.  I watched DLH work around a little limb/nipple on his bow, now I think I can do that when needed.

Wapiti, point out different trees around my farm that I didn't even know I had.  The list goes on.  It was simply an amazing weekend.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 10:51:38 am »
Thats why I sit around ALL winter waiting for the gatherings to start, I love them. So much to learn from so many people. Ive said it before, time in the saddle doesnt count for much. You can learn from anybody at anytime if your eyes are peeled. I may just have to add KY to my events list for 2014, unless of course full blown yanks aint allowed!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 10:59:06 am »
Thanks for the great pics guys! Looks like a lot of fun.
I enjoyed them very much.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin