Author Topic: tapered and barreled arrows  (Read 4747 times)

Offline wally

tapered and barreled arrows
« on: March 24, 2013, 06:09:35 pm »
Anyone know the benefits, if any, of using tapered arrows?
Also I've seen tapered arrows with taper either at point end or at nock end.
What's better and are barreled, taper at both ends any better?

I've seen 3/8 barreled arrows used on heavy ELB's for distance

and hey! Let's be careful out there

Offline sleek

Re: tapered and barreled arrows
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 06:17:27 pm »
I shoot tapered shafts. I like the arrow head at the thick end and the nock at he skinny end. I think its pointless to do it the other way around. A tapered shaft does 2 thing in my opinion. One, it allows the arrow to paradox way better when shot, making it fly better. The other is a benefit on impact. With all the weight up front, the arrow punches through the target better. The wide end at the front allows this. If all the weight was in the back, on impact, the resistance to penetration by the target would cause the arrow to flex allot, and that energy is wasted, not allowing good penetration.

So, tapered shafts shoot better and have more penetration energy than non tapered shafts.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 09:19:24 pm »
I have a jig I made for tapering the rear 9" of a doweled shafdt. I've been shooting hardwood shoot and cane arrows for a few years now and they are naturally tapered. The taper helps the rear of the arrow clear the bow better but it does decrease the physical weight. It lessens the spine weight too but only a pound or 2.   Barreled tapered arrows work well for flight shooting because you reduce the physical weight but maintain a stiff arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 09:35:02 pm »
You could add arrow dymanic to that list also if you wanted too... Less drag.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DuBois

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 02:55:34 am »
When I was a kid I used to pull up old 5-6' tall dead weeds and take off the little branches. Had a pointy root and made a great spear.
Bigger diameter on the root end and they flew great for kids messin with each other. If it got thrown little end first it would just flip end for end...Hmmm

Offline wally

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 07:52:55 am »
I know it sounds logical to have the rear tapered to put weight FOC but I'm sure I've seen for sale somewhere some flight arrows with the front tapered. Of course I can't find it on the internet now :-[, so was I dreaming-senior moment or has someone else seen it.

I'm gonna make a jig to rear taper my arrows from 5/16 to 9/32. Is that enough you think?
Apparently barreling is really only worth it for clout shooting ie over a hundred yards.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 09:38:21 am »
My taper jig tapers from 3/8" or 11/32" to 5/16" at the nock.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 09:58:41 am »
Mine does the same as Pat's. I like them tapered on POC shafts that I plan on using glue on nocks. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 11:54:01 am »
I know it sounds logical to have the rear tapered to put weight FOC but I'm sure I've seen for sale somewhere some flight arrows with the front tapered. Of course I can't find it on the internet now :-[, so was I dreaming-senior moment or has someone else seen it.

I'm gonna make a jig to rear taper my arrows from 5/16 to 9/32. Is that enough you think?
Apparently barreling is really only worth it for clout shooting ie over a hundred yards.

If you are using glue on commercial heads that have a set diameter then you may need to taper the front of your arrow to get it to fit, if you have made big heavy arrows. That's just my guess.

Offline wally

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 02:23:37 pm »
I shoot primitive style, so self nocking is used. I think 5/16 down to 9/32 will be O/K though I may reinforce nocks with horn.