Author Topic: Your Best Rookie Mistake?  (Read 12557 times)

Offline TRACY

Re: Your Best Rookie Mistake?
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2013, 09:06:11 am »
Using a bandsaw. Jim Hamm was correct when he said it takes a lot of time and hard work to get to a finished bow and only seconds to ruin one on a bandsaw.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2013, 10:34:17 am »
Now I remember. Christian Soldiers comments jogged my antiquated memory. On several occasions the tiller WAS good enough but then I decided to make it BETTER! Bang! The mistake was not trusting my instincts. There is more to a good tiller than meets the eye. Further,  as a bowyer I strive to use all my senses in tillering. So far I've only put 3 of 5 to work. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2013, 10:47:27 am »
I made a handful of Hackberry bows last year.  On a little narrow side split, I was working the belly down on my belt sander....realized I was working the back down on my belt sander.  Damn!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2013, 02:39:39 pm »
Probably the worst rookie mistake was trying to "flip-the-tips" over some coals in the fire on a 30 year old ELB bow that had taken some set.  I had no idea how exceptional that piece of yew was at the time. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2013, 04:13:10 pm »
Cutting a lot of crooked wood because character bows are cool.  nothing wrong with some character staves, but I wish I had cut some more straight clean stuff when I first started cutting. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso