Author Topic: Future bows and bowyers  (Read 2764 times)

Offline RBLusthaus

Future bows and bowyers
« on: March 24, 2013, 01:47:30 am »
My latest haul of black locust with my favorite assistant.  8 74inch staves (standing) and 12 84 inch beauties lying down, which does not count the dozen or so character staves and belly splits that ended up in the burn pile.       

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: Future bows and bowyers
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 01:48:57 am »
Sorry its sideways.  I'm  not too bright. 

Russ

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 02:26:01 am »
Any bug damage?
I harvested BL for the first time this year and had a few but still think I can work around them?
Do you keep any that are questionable or just pitch them in the burn pile?
Nice haul by the way.
I hope to enlilst my 2 young'ns in a couple more years  :)

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 03:55:34 am »
B.locust is my favourite wood! You lucky guy!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 09:02:41 am »
Very nice Russ. I say keep stacking wood until you think you have enough for two lifetimes, then take a year off and go cut more!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 09:46:17 am »
Looks like some fine black locust bows are in your future again. Have you taught the young fella how to work a draw knife yet?
I found some bl yesterday and the land owners gonna cut a couple trees down and into 6' sections for me this week. I need a strong young fella to remove sapwood for me too. ;)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 09:55:23 am »
Nice cache of wood. Has the young man made any bows yet? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 02:31:14 pm »
Nice!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 12:55:03 pm »
Hi guys. 

No, no bug damage that I can see.  The tree that these staves came from fell during the recent hurricane.  Half is still upright and hung up in the woods, as each time I cut a long off the bottom, it just falls straight down and stick its butt into the mud.    Still have 2 more full additional leaning trees to deal with as well.   I only wish one of them was an ash, or an ironwood, or something else other than BL, as I have been blessed with a ton of it and want to work other woods too.  The spice of life, and all that . . . . . Once dry, I may have try and trade a load for a load. 

All my kids (4) shoot their own trad equipment, but alas, none have yet to join me in the shop.  They will soon, if they know is good for them.  LOL.  They are great at bringing in all the neighbors kids, who all want to sit on the shaving bench and whittle away at some bits and pieces laying around.  Many more hiking sticks have been made at my bench than anything else. 

More harvest pics to come.     

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 01:15:14 pm »
Nice haul.  Plenty more walking sticks in that big pile  ;)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline johnfolchetti

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 09:31:16 am »
Nice haul Russ.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 11:59:13 am »
Looks good to me!  Are you the token Westchester County member, or are there others?
I remember some incredible trees/woods up your way around the reservoir and such.
1’—>1’

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 12:14:14 pm »
I am not the only Westchester member - we have YoungbowyerII also floating around these parts.  In addition, while not technically Westchester, I can hit Folcetti with a rock from my house (well, almost, 10 min by car), even though he is the next county over. 

Parnell - Real nice trees around our parts, but no osage.  Plenty of hickory, oak, maple, BL, ash , elm (rarer) and cherry, though. Maybe even HHB, but I am not sure I can identity that reliably.   

Thanks John -  you want some?  Ill bring it next month when we hook up?  LOL - - I know you have plenty - - but if you want, just say the word.     

Russ

Offline johnfolchetti

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 12:23:31 pm »
Sure Russ, bring one over & I'll swap you some HHB. There is some HHB around here but it's much more common upstate....our farm is loaded with it....and hit me with a beer rather than a rock!

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 03:53:16 pm »
:-)