Author Topic: Most likely insanity...  (Read 6144 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Most likely insanity...
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2013, 07:42:02 am »
  I can diffently see a sinewed back bow in there. But cherrys not really good wood for that design even with the sinew. I'd keep it wide as long as I could and 2 thick layers or 3 thin layers of sinew and hope for the best. I'd go with the 3 thin layers. I've made HICKORY AND OSAGE bows from limbs that looked like that. I sinewed the HICKORY. I'd stay away from the heat with cherry. Made CAUL and clamp it to it green.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 03:37:11 am »
If you succeed I'll call you Sir.
Frank from Germany...

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 03:39:18 am »
oooo sounds like a nice title! guess now i HAVE to succeed! oh well. no going back now lol.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline sleek

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 04:20:04 am »
If you dont, I'll call you a sissy....

I double dog dare ya...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 08:38:51 am »
When I first started I looked for the cleanest/straightest wood I could find,then after a while I looked for the wood no body in their right mind would try,after a while with that I am back to clean and straight,mainly clean.It's all a learning process, go for it, the worst thing that can happen is it won't make it and after all it's just wood for now so don't fall in love with it.  ;) :) Good luck and keep us posted. ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ScottN

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2013, 07:02:46 pm »
I say give it a try!

I have a pruned christmas tree sealed up and drying in the boiler room. It probably wont come out as a great bow, but it'll sure be a good stave for practice!
...take me away...from the place I've been...          ...to another life...in another world...

Offline sleek

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2013, 04:48:37 am »
A bad stave for practice is about like saying a bad woman is a good practice wife.... Do your best to get it right the first time...

That being said, I am willing to bet a Christmas tree can make a good bow, but very specific conditions must be met, length, draw weight, length, knot placement, tiller, frontal profile, and others I havent thought of yet. I would say a Christmas tree bow is a good idea for a bored experienced bowyer, not a new guy. But if you wanna try it, good luck, start a thread and im sure we will all try to help ya... Oh, wear safety glasses :)
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2013, 10:20:42 am »
Just can't see anything good coming from an Xmas tree stave.  Waste of time.  You will learn that a knot covered soft wood won't bend very far without breaking.  Here's a tip...a knot covered soft wood won't bend very far without breaking.  If you now take that as a given and move on to a decent stave, one you can learn something from, your ahead of the knucklehead trying to make Xmas tree bows.  An experienced guy might, as an experiment, get a working bow from an Xmas tree, but you don't see many (read any) popping up in threads on PA.....there's a reason for that...a knot covered soft wood won't bend very far without breaking. :)
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.